iTunes and Safari won't open!! Why oh why?? (ibook G4, OSX 3.9)

Reaction score
It's so weird... out of nowhere my iTunes and Safari just won't open! When I click the icon it bounces a couple times like it's going to open and then... nothing. Luckily I have Firefox but I want my music! Can anyone help? :confused:

Oh, and I also tried downloading some program called "Cocktail" at someone else's advice. And the same thing is happening to that now (won't open)!

I recently installed the recommended updates on my iBook if that is helpful or could have something to do with it.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Reaction score
Hi AEngelman,

To make diagnosing easier, have you tried anything to resolve the problem ? If so can you let us know :)

Have you run cocktail before or did it just not open when you downloaded it?

Have you tried repairing permissions? If not, then the first step is to repair permissions and then find the preference list files for Safari and itunes and cocktail (.plist) and put them in the bin.

You will find the preference files in your home folder>library>preferences. The files you want to trash are:

com.apple.safari.plist

com.apple.itunes.plist
com.apple.itunes.eq.plist
com.apple.ituneshelper.plist

and whatever preference files are there for cocktail (I am not sure what .plist files are there because I do not use it)

Restart your Mac after repairing permissions and trashing any preference files and try again to open the programs.

Reaction score
THANK YOU! I will try this as soon as I get home tonight and let you know.

I actually tried moving the safari.plist file to my desktop and then running Safari, but this didn't seem to fix anything. But I'll try trashing the file for both and see what happens.

And no - Cocktail never ran. I downloaded the program, clicked the icon - it bounced a couple times, and then just never opened. *shrug*

I'll let you know... thanks again!

Hi AEngelman,

To make diagnosing easier, have you tried anything to resolve the problem ? If so can you let us know :)

Have you run cocktail before or did it just not open when you downloaded it?

Have you tried repairing permissions? If not, then the first step is to repair permissions and then find the preference list files for Safari and itunes and cocktail (.plist) and put them in the bin.

You will find the preference files in your home folder>library>preferences. The files you want to trash are:

com.apple.safari.plist

com.apple.itunes.plist
com.apple.itunes.eq.plist
com.apple.ituneshelper.plist

and whatever preference files are there for cocktail (I am not sure what .plist files are there because I do not use it)

Restart your Mac after repairing permissions and trashing any preference files and try again to open the programs.

Ask a Question