Need advice about replacing a hard drive.

Reaction score
I am thinking of replacing my 2011 Mac Book Pro's which has a 512GB solid-state drive. What would be a better alternative, in terms of speed and performance? I am looking at different websites and getting lost in the terminology. ;(

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

If your MBP has an Apple-installed SSD, you really won't see any major performance improvement by replacing it. If you want additional space, you could always purchase an external Thunderbolt drive.

-Which hard drive models are you looking at?
-What terminology has you confused?

C

Reaction score
My mid 2013 13" MacBook Air has a 250 gig Samsung SSD inside it, whereas for my late 2012 Mac Mini, I replaced the slow, 5400 rpm 1 TB drive with a 256 gig Samsung SSD Pro drive. I believe the Samsung SSD inside the Air is the "EVO" variety, instead of the "Pro" variety inside my Mac Mini. I thus suspect that Cory is correct, in that you will not see much speed improvement (if any) in replacing the 512 gig SSD inside your machine.

Can you tell us the specific MacBook Pro model you have (13", 15", Retina, etc.)? Also, do you know what specific model SSD drive you have now? And, have you done any cleanup/maintenance on the present SSD?

Ask a Question