Moving installed program from desktop to another folder

Reaction score
Hello, I bought my first Mac, so I'm on the steep part of the learning curve.

I'm installing the basic programs so I can open my work files. I use Open Office, and I did not find it in the App store, so I downloaded Open Office for Mac online and installed it, but it automatically installed on the desktop and I want to move it to my Applications folder. It's not letting me move it, the only option to get it off my desktop is to trash it, which I don't want to do.

How can I install a program that's not an official Mac App and still be able to treat it like an App, or other program? Any advice would be great. Thank you!

Reaction score
Hi and welcome.

I think I know what you have done, you have down loaded the software and then gone to your downloads folder and clicked open office as my screen shot (1). Now you have a disk like icon on the desktop as screen shot (2).
You need to click/double click this to open the dmg file once done you get a box with the software install wanting to be put into your applications folder screen shot (3)

Easiest way is open finder then applications folder and just drag the open office icon as my arrows depicts.

Hope this makes sense. Just think of the easiest way of doing things as this is how a Mac works, not complicated like a PC, so all your applications will be in one place. Enjoy the learning curve and let us know how this goes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-25 at 18.52.27.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-25 at 18.52.27.png
    236.8 KB · Views: 320
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-25 at 18.57.21.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-25 at 18.57.21.png
    150 KB · Views: 341
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-25 at 18.53.49.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-10-25 at 18.53.49.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 344
Reaction score
Hi,

Your most welcome, don't forget to clean up, drag the open office dmg that was on the desktop and the downloads file to the trash and delete.;)

Hope you enjoy using the Mac.

Ask a Question