Removing Unneeded Bluetooth Menu Items

Reaction score
I recently picked up a nice 2012 iMac for my son to replace his aging 2008 model. It came configured as though it was a new out-of-the-box machine. I paired it with a bluetooth Apple keyboard, mouse and a Logitech Bluetooth receiver for his really nice Klipsch speakers.

His keyboard kept losing its connection intermittently and he called me over to fix the problem (he was using standard Duracell and Energizer AA batteries. Using rechargeable AA batteries has solved the problem. At least he's getting much better battery life now).

When we go to the Bluetooth menu, there's a list of maybe 200 or more keyboards and mice listed, many of them "named" for whomever used them and previously had them paired to this iMac. Most simply have cryptic numbers. I've tried everything I can think of to trim that menu down and have had no success. I'm sure it's something simple that I've overlooked or am forgetting about.

By the way, when he does "lose" his keyboard or mouse, it's because he neglects to check the battery status in his System Prefs. Reconnecting is frustrating when there's such a long list to wade through to find his devices. I've long used rechargeable batteries with great success and long life. Regular non-rechargeable batteries won't last more than a couple of days with any of our bluetooth keyboards or mice.

Forgot to mention he's running Yosemite and refuses to let me upgrade him to El Capitan OR Sierra.

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
  1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Bluetooth.
  2. Hover the pointer over the device you want to remove, then click the button
    yosemite-safari-cancel_icon.png
    that appears next to the device's name or right click on an entry and then choose 'Remove'

This works fine for High Sierra, if it does not work for Yosemite
you could try this link https://www.imore.com/how-clean-your-macs-bluetooth-menu

Last edited:
Reaction score
I appreciate your prompt reply. I did the very thing you recommended since I've used that method successfully with El Capitan and Sierra on my own machines, but as I pointed out, my son is almost superstitious in how highly he regards Yosemite. It really defies description despite my best efforts in pointing out the benefits of upgrading. However, his Mac performs the limited tasks he engages in quite well. His Mac is the hub of his entertainment system and he uses it only for playing music and videos and as a photo archive.

I will look at the link you've supplied and see what I can do. Thank you again for your response!

Ask a Question