(Mac Mini) Glitchy screen of Death

Reaction score
Hello, I am a very big gamer and my dad gave me this mac-mini about in 2006. Ever since then, I never came along of what I call "The glitchy screen of death" But after me getting Bootcamp (A device made for mac to run windows and other software) in 2014 or 2015, the glitchy screen of death never occurred until 2 months later while I was playing Garry's mod or some junk like that on my mac side. Then out of nowhere my computer made this sound like Quagmire from family guy but in a higher tone and had glitchy bars scattered around my screen. As any dumb kid would do I just turned off my monitor and somewhat it logged me out. after that I began trying to clear out my computer but no use. Then I decided to just deal with it. Now days, its much worse. Instead of Quagmire it was a low tone of random beeps ands skitters. I just wait until it automatically reboots then get back on to my game. I have no clue wow this happens but here is the stuff I run before it crashes

Garry's mod, soundflower, garageband, steam (Lasts 6-19 minutes)

Minecraft, Itunes (10-20 minutes)

Chrome, Minecraft (10-50 minutes)

Thats kinda all what I run to make my computer crash. Hopefully this is helpful to you.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model Mac mini?
-What version of OS X?
-What versions of the apps - i.e. GarageBand, Soundflower, Steam, Chrome, Minecraft, etc.?

The issue sounds like either the graphics chip is starting to fail, the processor is underpowered for your needs, the RAM is failing, or the mini is overheating. Because of the beeps, I would bet on RAM and overheating.

C

Reaction score
-mid 2011 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
-Yosemite 10.10.4
-It seems to not do anything when I update the listed apps. Everything is just normal (Despite for the crashing.)

Reaction score
The issue sounds like either the graphics chip is starting to fail, the processor is underpowered for your needs, the RAM is failing, or the mini is overheating. Because of the beeps, I would bet on RAM and overheating.

C
I think that is it. I have a friend that knows whats going on but he doesn't know how to mod a mac mini

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It's not a very user-serviceable Mac. There really aren't any mods that can be done, other than replacing the hard drive, adding RAM, and some folks have successfully upgraded the processor - on early Mac minis that have a processor socket.

Really, your best bet would be to buy a newer model, as those older 2006 Mac minis are pretty much at the end of their life, especially for gamers and the like.

C

Ask a Question