Imac G3 has OS 10.0.3 and want to install Classic OS 9 for games

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to MAC computers. I bought one on Ebay, its a IMAC strawberry with OS 10.0.3 already installed (I do not have original disk for the OS X). I bought this computer for the purpose of my 6 year old to play CD-ROM games. The games all seem to need to run in the Classic environment. When I tried to switch to Classic, found that it is not there, just the OS 10. I went and ordered a Classic 9 off of ebay so we can play these games. When the disk comes in I am not sure what the proper thing is to do. I have heard about partioning hard drives ect. Can someone help me do this properly so I do not crash the computer. I like the OS X because it is fast, but to be honest the computer is just going to be used for the kids educational software and games, which all need OS 9.

Thanks for any help. :confused:

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

sorry for the delay...

To install OS9 just pop the disk in and reboot holding down the c key then follow the instructions that the installer gives you...

As long as you don't tell the installer the 'wipe' the disk then OS 9 just gets installed...no need for a separate partion.

Then reboot and you will have OS 9 and OS X.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question