Have I ruined my brand new MBP already???

Reaction score
I have just posted my story of how I am loving my Mac and no serious problems when something happened. To be fair, it happened a couple of nights ago but I just assumed it was something I did and carried on. It just happened to me again about 5 minutes ago and now I know there is something no quite right about it. I was just using the thing like normal, its not doing any major tasks, using iTunes, Firefox and Preview was open when it just goes dead.

The battery was at 53% and it just died on me. I had to put the power adapter in and press the power button to get it going again to wake it from what seems like a 'deep sleep'. Pressing any other buttons to wake it from sleep doesn't work so I had to use the power button. When the power goes back in, the percentage of battery is starting from 0% as if I had let it go down that far. How can it instantly go from 53% and working fine to dying and being at 0% with no indication?

This has not happened in the first week of having it, but has now happened twice since I calibrated the battery on Sunday. I have just taken the power out to see if it would go off (it had gotten back up to 19%) and when I plugged it back in it shot up to 64%. This is quite a worry now that it seems to be jumping from one thing to another without logic.

I have been running the MBP all day since writing a first edition of this post inside one of my previous threads and its continuing to do the same.:(:(:(

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Sounds like a defective battery or an issue with the logic board. I would take it in and have it looked at.

C

Reaction score
Oh my dear! This is the LAST thing I wanted to hear. It was going fine until I did the calibrate thing. You say "take it in" and i don't even know what that's going to take. There is no Apple store in Scotland yet and I ordered it online direct from Apple Store.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

unfortunately there has been quite a few that have had similar problems.

Give Apple Care a call and see what they say.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
yeh, I have come to realise in the last 24 hours that this is more than a common problem. I am very annoyed at this. This is no cheap toy and I certainly don't expect a company to keep banging out such defective product if they know something isn't right.

I'm slightly embarrassed, in fact, very embarrassed at the thought of it all. My friends cursed me for buying an Apple Mac and I just ignored them and said Mac was for me. I have been massively impressed by this thing but I am bitter about this issue after less than 2 weeks (as with all the rest). I can't believe it, I'm gutted. The laptop couldn't be any more brand new and its already flawed.

I'm gonna get round to phoning Apple on this and then I will have to see what happens. There is no official Apple Store here in Scotland yet, so who knows what will come.

Grant (aka TartanSparkle)

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

don't get too disheartened, these things sometimes happen !

It may just need the battery recalibrated...

Let us know what they say.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question