Hardrive crashed

Reaction score
Hi there im a completely clueless with this stuff and i really need some advise.
I have a macbook pro 13" 2011 and my hardrive crashed. I replaced it with a new one but now i just cant get it to work.

The flashing question appears on my screen so i go to Mac OS Utilities - disk utility - select my start up disc - erase tab - mac OS extended (journaled) - name my hardrive - then press erase - restart my computer - Reinstall Mac OS x -

Then i get a message that an error has occured while preparing the installation and try running this application again.

I have just been looking at clips on Youtube about all this and this is the only experience i have.

I would appreciate any help you have to offer so i can hopefully get my computer running again.

Reaction score
I installed the new hardrive. I dont think i have done anything wrong with that part because it seemed straight forward.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It may still be in Master Boot Record partitioning.

In Disk Utility:

1. Click on the disk icon in the left, not the partition, but the grey hard drive line
2. Click on Partition tab
3. Under Partition Layout: click Current and select 1 Partition in drop-down
4. Click Options... button just below the partition map
5. Click radio button next to GUID Partition Table then click OK
6. Enter a name in the Name field - usually Macintosh HD
7. Select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in the Format: section
8. Click Apply button

This will ensure the partition type is set to GUID and the format is set to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for use as a startup disk in Mac OS X.

If you still get an error during the install, do you have Apple o third-party RAM installed?

C

Reaction score
Sorry about the delay in getting back i have been up the walls at work.

Ok so i have tried that and i still cant reinstall Mac OS X.
What is "do you have Apple o third-party RAM installed"?
Im sure it is something simple but i really am useless with these things. I apprecaite the help dude and hopefully i can sort this without paying for an Apple repair shop.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It should have read: do you have Apple or third-party RAM installed?

It means did you add RAM/memory that you bought yourself or do you simply have the RAM/memory that came from Apple in a standard configuration? Non-Apple RAM can cause the issue you are having.

-What version of Mac OS X are you trying to install?
-Are you installing from a disc or from an electronic version via Option-boot Recovery Disk?

C

Reaction score
Oh dude i think the problem is that im not using anything to try get it back. I just assumed that the computer had what ever it needed built in and could just start running again as soon as i got the new hardrive.
I will borrow a disc from a guy at work and hopefully that will sort the problem.
Thanks for all the help so far and i will come back on here on Monday when i get the start up disc and let you know how it has gone. Thanks again dude :)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the update.

It matters which exact MacBook model you have from 2011 - Early or Late. Early came with Snow Leopard 10.6.6, Late came with Lion 10.7.2. There were no actual Lion install discs.

Give us a little more information about the MacBook if you can...or the serial number so we can determine how to approach this.

C

Reaction score
Yes my laptop has Snow Lepard 10.6.6. when i bought it and a few months later Lion came out and i upgraded. You are spot on there was no disk and i just did the upgrade over the internet.
The model number of my laptop is A1278, Rated 16.5V
If there more information i can get you please let me know and thanks again for your help.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Both 2011 13" MacBook Pro models have the model number of A1278. ;) We can identify which model it is by the processor:

-Early 2011 is 2.3 or 2.7 GHz
-Late 2011 is 2.4 or 2.8 GHz

The reason it's important is twofold:

-Early 2011 came with 10.6.6 or 10.6.7 Snow Leopard discs and does support 10.7.x Lion.
-Late 2011 came with 10.7.x Lion (no discs) and doesn't support 10.6.x Snow Leopard.

If you bought it a couple months before Lion was released and it came with Snow Leopard, then I am pretty sure it is an Early 2011 model. The problem with this model, is that the retail Snow Leopard disc is only 10.6 or 10.6.3, so it cannot be used to install OS X. You will need find a Lion USB thumb drive installer, or take it to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Center to get the OS installed. They will probably only install Snow Leopard, as that is what came on it, but you can then use the Mac App Store to re-download and install your purchased Lion upgrade without charge.

C

Reaction score
The serial number is C02F52PCDH2G
The old hardrive was 320GB and on the back of my laptop it says 2010.
So by the sound of things it looks like i need find someone with a Lion on a USB. Do you know if this is easy to find seen as though the update was done VIA the internet?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, that is a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011).

It will probably be difficult to find the Apple Lion USB thumb drive, as they were only available as a purchase at the Apple Store. To my recollection, not that many were sold as they were $69.

Do you have an Apple Store or AASP near you that you could visit?

C

Reaction score
Yes dude i can go into Stockholm and get them to sort it but the reason i was trying to avoid that is because of the cost of getting them to even look at it. I think im out of options now so i will just have to suck it up and pay up lol.

Do uou think it possible to get Snow Leopard on a USB or even a disc and try to install that first?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You can get Snow Leopard on disc, but you would have to get a set of the original system-specific grey discs, as the retail version won't work as I explained above. They can be hard to find and tricky to get the right ones. Those discs are system-specific and won't work unless you have the exact build for your MBP.

You might have luck with a local Mac user group if there are any in your area. Also, if you have any friends that have a Mac, you could download the Lion installer using your Mac App Store account and use DiskMaker X to create a bootable Lion USB installer drive. Just create another user on their Mac, login to it, launch the Mac App Store, enter your account info, download and follow the steps for DiscMaker X using a USB flash drive. It will only show the Lion download under your Purchases, as it's not available in the App Store any longer.

Outside of that, you'll have to take the drive and pay up. ;)

C

Reaction score
Dude you are a legend and i cant thank you enough for all your help.

I have a friend that has a Mac too so i will try once more to avoid paying up but either way i will post back here just to let you know how it went.
Chat you soon dude :)

Reaction score
Hello mate i am finally back on my Mac after all this time. My friend tried to fix the laptop and had it away for close to a month so that held me up.
When i finally got it back i ordered a thumb drive on ebay from some muppet but he never sent it so after a few weeks ebay returned my money.
I re-ordered it on ebay from a guy in the UK last weekend and it arrived today so all i did was stick it in and it was sorted in 15 min :)

I just want to thank you again for all your help, i really appreciate it. I learned a lot and saved money too.:)

Ask a Question