Connecting Thunderbolt display to MacPro 2012

Reaction score
Can I connect a Thunderbolt display to a MacPro 2012 desktop computer?
If so, what cables do I need?
For information, the Mac Pro has a DVI Display port and two mini Display ports. It also has 3 USB 2.0 ports, 2 Firewire 800 ports, and 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports. It also has optical digital audio in and out ports as well analog audio line in and out ports.
The Display resolution is 2560x1440 and has a Gigabit Ethernet port, a Thunderbolt port, 3 USB 2.0 ports, and a FireWire 800 port.
Your advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thank you!

It depends...what is the brand/model of the Thunderbolt display? It sounds like the Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch) from your description.

You won't be able to connect an actual Thunderbolt display to older Macs that do not have a Thunderbolt port. However, you can connect Mini DisplayPort displays to Thunderbolt ports.

C

Reaction score
Can I ask a similar question? I just bought myself a Mac Pro and an Asus PA32UC monitor. The monitor has 2 x Thunderbolt input ports and came with a Thunderbolt cable (with the small lightning symbol on it). However... the connector seems slightly too big to fit in the Mac Pro's sockets!! Are there different sizes of Thunderbolt connector???

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

If you bought Mac Pro (Late 2013), it has a Thunderbolt 2 port or HDMI. The ASUS has Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C), HDMI, and DisplayPort. The best option would be an HDMI cable, as you can't connect a Thunderbolt 3 display to a Thunderbolt 2 computer.

C

Ask a Question