Can't set Ownership & Permissions on external WD hard-drive...

Reaction score
A new Western Digital 250 GB external hard-drive, model# WD25001032;
iMac, MacOSX 10.4.8, Intel.

How can I set Ownership & Permissions on this drive AND/OR folders/files contained therein?

If the answer is: "You can't." Is there another brand/model that allows this?

Reaction score
Additional details from System Profiler about my WD:

External HDD:

Capacity: 232.89 GB
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: Yes
BSD Name: disk1
Version: 1.07
Bus Power (mA): 500
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Western Digital
OS9 Drivers: No
Product ID: 0x0901
Serial Number: ***thought it best to keep private***
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
Vendor ID: 0x1058
Volumes:
My Book:
Capacity: 232.88 GB
Available: 108.81 GB
Writable: Yes
File System: MS-DOS FAT32
BSD Name: disk1s1
Mount Point: /Volumes/My Book

What stands out to me is "File System: MS-DOS FAT32;" is this where my problem lies? Must I reformat the drive to whatever Apple uses? ...and what might that be?

Reaction score
Yes, the FAT32 file system (which was most common for Windows 98 and Me users) is simple enough for there to exist drivers to let almost any operating system both read from and write to it, while many more advanced file systems are often pretty exclusive to one or very few platforms (UFS and HFS+ for macintosh, though there are programs to let Windows read and write to HFS+, NTFS for Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista, and other file systems for other operating systems). That simplicity is just because of that reason, it doesn't support features like ownership, permissions, journalling, and others.

If you're planning on moving the hard drive between Windows and Macintosh systems, I suggest keeping FAT32 and missing out on the ownership/permissions deal, as Windows cannot directly understand the Mac's native systems (UFS and HFS+/Mac OS Extended) and Mac OS X cannot write to NTFS, only read from it.
In case you're only ever using the drive with a Mac, I suggest formatting the drive as Mac OS Extended (HFS+) Journalised (using Apple's Drive Utility), as some programs may have problems with UFS (though, in those cases, it's mostly when the program itself is on a UFS drive, not for documents and other files)... don't forget to copy any data on the drive to somewhere else first though.

Ask a Question