Advice migrating from Windows

Reaction score
I have used Windows for around 15 years and after good experiences with iPhone and iPad, I finally decided to jump to Apple as a replacement for my main workstation - I'm hoping to purchase an iMac 27 in the next few weeks.

Most of my work involves Photoschop, Dreamweaver and sorting through thousands of enormous image files and so I don't worry too much about the software compatibility / availability side of things - the Mac sounds perfect.

However, I have a few migration concerns that people might please be able to advise me on?

1) Backups - On Windows, I currently have two external 1Tb NTFS-format hard drives which I alternate between using on a weekly basis - and I use a 3rd party Windows application to synchronise all of my PC's partition contents (except the OS files) onto the external drives. I hear that I can use TimeMachine on the Mac, but does this application produce an identical and easily browseable file structure on the external drives (as I require) or does it archive and/or encrypt the backup into a format only readable again by TimeMachine?

2) Partitions - Do partitions on the Mac work in the same way as they do on Windows? Is it still good practice to partition up a drive or better to just use folders?

3) Does anyone know if my (many!) Windows config files and custom filters from Photoshop and Dreamweaver will easily port to the Mac versions of these applications?

4) How easy is it to replace / upgrade the memory and hard drive in the iMac27? I'm familiar with building PC's, but suspect it is quite different on the iMac. Does the iMac come with 2x2Gb as standard and could I request a 1x4Gb instead (to allow for a future upgrade).

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks...Sean.

Reaction score
1) Nope, TimeMachine uses a standard Disk Image and can also be accessed by Finder. But its got a cool interface, too. I love the fact that I'm backed up on the hour. I use the 2Gig TimeCapsule, this also gives great WiFi connection.

2) Yes, I've been down that path with Partitions, If you have a use for them they are available no worries, but they are not a must use thing. I now favour my drives as a single partition, just less to manage.

3) I think some will and others don't, I'm sure there is an Adobe forum that could help more on this topic.

4) Upgrading RAM is very easy. Internal drive, nope, I'd get a service centre to do it, too much hassle taking the screen off. BUT the iMac comes with ThunderBolt and FireWire 800, easy to add high speed Raids and Externals. RAM, They normally fill up the slots, but that varies per model and availability.

IMO the best bang for your buck is the 27" i7 with 8Gig and 1TB, TimeCapsule and Extended AppleCare.

Reaction score
1) Nope, TimeMachine uses a standard Disk Image and can also be accessed by Finder. But its got a cool interface, too. I love the fact that I'm backed up on the hour. I use the 2Gig TimeCapsule, this also gives great WiFi connection.

2) Yes, I've been down that path with Partitions, If you have a use for them they are available no worries, but they are not a must use thing. I now favour my drives as a single partition, just less to manage.

3) I think some will and others don't, I'm sure there is an Adobe forum that could help more on this topic.

4) Upgrading RAM is very easy. Internal drive, nope, I'd get a service centre to do it, too much hassle taking the screen off. BUT the iMac comes with ThunderBolt and FireWire 800, easy to add high speed Raids and Externals. RAM, They normally fill up the slots, but that varies per model and availability.

IMO the best bang for your buck is the 27" i7 with 8Gig and 1TB, TimeCapsule and Extended AppleCare.

+1 for Kaveman.
but get your memory from Crucial or other memory vendors. I bought 16Gb for my new iMac a couple of weeks back, £80, bargain and although there are cheaper options Crucial memory is good from a good company.

HTH

P

Reaction score
I agree you can shop around for RAM, but you need to balance the cost of removing the RAM that comes with it. We always use an Anti-Static Mat. It is amazingly easy to burn the RAM with static and then you get all manner of strangeness. We no longer guarantee RAM we don't install.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

I have to admit that I'm something of a control freak when it comes down to file management and storage and so I might have to adopt a backup process that more close mirrors my existing methods - at least until I get fully used to Apple and trust the built-in software.

I read a thread somewhere where somebody advised always using the Pictures folder for your images. Does this work in a similar way to the "My Pictures" folder on Windows? If so, then I would certainly not use it as I prefer my images stored on designated folders / partitions, relative to their purpose. (For example, I would not want my web design business images popping up alongside my family photos if I stored them all in "Pictures" - I would prefer the web design related images stored in the Wed Design partition with their relative files, etc.

Whilst this might sound quite obvious...would this strategy "break" the way that the Mac OS works causing me to lose / cripple native functionality?

Reaction score
When it comes to backups, I do too, I burn off some, I have duplicate to external drives AND I run the TimeCapsule. Knowing that I can fully restore from less than an hour ago, and scrub back and find any version of the files I've been working on is great. It not "Trusting" something its adding another layer.

The only thing I would advise is make 2 User Accounts, the first one made when setting up the Mac is an Admin, then make a standard account and use that as your normal working login, when you need to install stuff it will prompt you for an Admin User name and Password, so you just enter those from the other account and all is well. No need to login to it. Its also good to have a "known good" to check if problems arise in the User Account.

This stops you accidentally making Folders or deleting stuff that the OS wants kept tidy.

On the Boot Drive there is your Home Folder, in here you can arrange things as you like, but the Standard Folders need to remain there too. Don't go messing with the Folders/Files in your Library, in Lion this is now "sort of" hidden. Thats where the Apps store their user specific files.

Also if you use iPhoto, iTunes or iMovie its best to leave their Libraries in the Pictures, Music and Movies Folders, (you can go changing this but wait until you get the hang of how it all hangs together before doing so)

Another bit of advise, Never ever ever use the CD/DVD that comes with any peripheral. oh the troubles I've seen.
With the Mac, step 1, plug it in and see if it just works, it probably will!
step 2, check that its plugged in properly;-)
step 3, Find the Lion version on-line!

Reaction score
I suspect that I would also go for a combination of TimeCapsule and "manual" backups.
I like to use the latter approach because I can then take the backup drive "off-site" to my parent's house on a weekly basis, to reduce theft/fire risks.

With respect to file storage, I will study the Mac file system carefully to understand how things work. I would probably go for the 2Tb hard drive (seeing as that part is hard to replace) and keep it as one large partition (assuming the Mac file system can work effectively and efficiently with a parition of 2Tb).

Thanks for the peripheral advice too. At present I only have a scanner but will take this approach when trying to get it to work.

Reaction score
The Mac Application for Scanning is call Image Capture. I'd use that if the Scanner is compatible.

Reaction score
Well, I've done it - I just placed the order and went for:

iMac 27
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
2TB Serial ATA Drive [+ £120.00]
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
Magic Trackpad

I maxed out the CPU, graphics and storage (except no SSD), but I purposely left the RAM at just 4Gb with the intention of purchasing 16Gb of third party RAM in the next few days.

I avoided the magic mouse as I really don't feel comfortable with it and went for the track pad instead. I plan to use a quality gaming mouse with this.

I do a fair amount of typing and so possibility of also going for something like the Matias Tactile Pro 3 keyboard.

Thanks for all the tips - I'll feedback soon :)

Reaction score
My new iMac arrived on Saturday (5 day order turnaround is excellent) and so I'm having a good play around and trying a few things out.

After a couple of weeks of experimenting asnd learning, I might like to restore the OS to the original state - I usually did the same with Windows installation.

How easy is that? My iMac did not come with an OS X installation disk (that I could see).

Thanks...Sean.

Reaction score
The best thing to do is just make a Standard Account and play around in that, then when you're done delete that account and make a new one. And no you don't want to be "Experimenting" in the System or Library at the base of the HD, the Std Account will let you look copy stuff out but not break.

Lion is not really designed to restore, that's boot with the R key and then a 3Gig download. The idea is your User Account Migrates, current one has been going for nearly 6 years and through 4 OS X upgrades.

Reaction score
So far, so good...
I have ported all of my windows data folders across and stored them on the path:

/Users/Sean/External

I will soon set up a file sync operation to keep the contents of External backed up to an external hard drive. In the event of iMac failure, I can then plug the drive in elsewhere.

I would still like to restore the OS in a few weeks when I have done all of my hacking around and experimenting. I have noticed that when holding down the alt key to show the boot menu, one of the options seems to let me restore to the original OS - I have a very quick internet connection so don't mind a 3gig download. I will feed back when I have accomplished this.

karazelle

Reaction score
I do a little bit of modeling. I store my private photos in iPhoto and just let it "have at it", and store my portfolio stuff using Aperture (App Store or Apple.com) which allows me more control over where I want to store stuff.

Microsoft Expression Media is also a great tool for keeping tabs on your assets no matter where you CHOOSE to store them as it handles video and other assets too.
Both Aperture and Expression Media handles offline media as well (catalogs with reference to external disks or DVDs and their labels).

Ask a Question