SOLVED Youtube "error" messages during play

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been getting this message recently when playing a youtube video, mostly in full screen mode; " An error occurred ". Only happened in the last few weeks, but happens regularly. I will say that a while ago I added an ad blocker , or turned it on , on my MacBook pro a few weeks ago also.
I have a 2015 running Mojave 10.14.6. Thanks for any help you can share.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Currently, there are a lot of issues with speed and some streaming resources, due to the increased load on the Internet as a whole. I would try some of the following to see if it helps:

-Disable/remove the ad blocker
-Clear your browser cache
-Try another browser
-If using Google Chrome, try disabling Chrome > Preferences > Advanced > Use hardware acceleration when available. There is a semi-known issue with Mojave, Macs, and Chrome when streaming video in services like Google Meet/YouTube/Facebook Live/etc. It has to do with the recent security update: 2020-002 Update Causes Some Macs to Freeze When Using HW Accelerated Video

See if any of that helps,

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory, after some easy research, I found the "Ghostery Lite" app has a page where I can select to not have the app function. After I added youtube to the list I can now watch the vids without the error message. Seems unfortunate not to be able to de-rail their ads.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...glad you found the solution, and thanks for posting it.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question