www becomes www.www

Reaction score
I have a strange problem and no idea how to resolve it:

I changed DNS entries with my webpage and something went wrong. When I now enter the address the www becomes automatically www.www -> the DNS entries with the hosting company now is correct.

I tried to flush the DNS cache, deleted all the caches of Safari and Firefox, restarted the Mac, rebuilt file permissions, even tried to flush the DNS cache as a root user. Still this webpage cannot be opened.

The webpage works on a MacBook and the iPhone, also a colleague can open it.

Any ideas what to do?

Thanks a lot!
Réjeanne

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
just for clarifications sake, I could be misunderstanding your issue but is it the case that all else can view your website while you cannot view it on your own Mac, or at least on the Mac where you edited the DNS entries?

Reaction score
Yes. My colleague and a friend have no problems with the webpage. My MacBook also works fine - that's to say it worked fine, suddenly it had the same issue, when I tried later on it worked again. Also another computer in my network which runs all the time does not work and also the iPad. I deleted the DNS cache on my firewall as well as I thought that perhaps that could be an issue too. It did not help.
I am really completely without any ideas. :-(

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Did you happen to create a bookmark for it in the browsers?

C

Reaction score
Yes, the page was bookmarked while it was hosted by another company. But this was done on all my computers - also on the MacBook which works.

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies and also for the link to DNS Flusher. It resolved the problem, the page is now working as it should. It is great to know a place where you can get help this fast. Thanks.

Ask a Question