Word for Mac- format issue

Reaction score
Using Word for Mac and it's fine except when I email a document as an attachment, the formatting is jumbled. I've got the latest updates for Word, using gmail to send mail. Any ideas how to keep formatting intact?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which version of OS X?
-Microsoft Word version 15.33, correct?
-How are you accessing Gmail - using Apple Mail or via Safari/Chrome?

C

Reaction score
OK, I just tried this, and it worked fine. I attached a Word 2016 (V15.33) .docx file to an EMail I sent from my GMail account (via Google Chrome) to my Comcast account, opened up the EMail on my Comcast account, and had no issues viewing it there, either via Preview, or double clicking on the attachment, which of course launched Word 2016 (V15.33).

I repeated the same using the browser Opera, and it still worked fine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello,

-Which version of OS X?
-Microsoft Word version 15.33, correct?
-How are you accessing Gmail - using Apple Mail or via Safari/Chrome?

C
OS version 10.10.5, The Word version is a bit old 12.3.6, but when I check for updates it says no updates available. Maybe I need a whole new version? I use Chrome. I see there are newer version of Word for mac available for "free" are they trustworthy??

Reaction score
That version, 12.3.6, is for Word 2008, as part of Office 2008. Since then, Microsoft has released Office 2011, and more recently, Office 2016. But, not sure why it would not work, unless Word 2008 is "too old" for GMail. As I mentioned above, with Word 2016 (V15.33), I was able to successfully test this, with both of the latest versions of Google Chrome and Opera.

Also, not sure what you mean by "free" versions of Word?

Last edited:

Ask a Question