Windows 8.1 installation error via Bootcamp.

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to install a full, genuine version of Windows 8.1 onto my Macbook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) via Bootcamp 5.1.4, on OS X Yosemite 10.10.3.
------------------------------
2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
500 GB SATA Disk

420.64 GB free of 499.25 GB
-------------------------------
I'm using an external optical drive and the Windows 8.1, 64 bit installation disk. I have downloaded the "latest Windows support software from Apple" onto a 8GB USB. I partition my hard drive to have 70GB of Windows and the rest OS X. After it has finished partitioning the disk, my Macbook reboots and about five seconds later, a grey screen with a flashing underscore appears in the top left of the screen. I'm not able to do anything at that point.

I force shut down, and turn my Macbook back on while holding 'option' to access the boot menu. When the boot menu appears there're four options (when the external optical drive is plugged in), "Macintosh HD, recovery drive, Windows, EFI Boot". I tried selecting "Windows" but it just returns to the grey screen with the flashing underscore. I left the grey screen on for 30+ minutes to see if anything will happen, but nothing did.

I have tried restoring the partition and re-partioning it and trying again, but the same grey screen comes up. I have tried unplugging the external optical drive when the Macbook reboots but it just sates, "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key", I then plug the external optical drive back in and press any key, but it just stays on that screen.

I made an ISO file of my Windows 8.1, but the first thing you see when you open bootcamp is a warning stating, "You need an optical drive to install Windows. Connect an optical drive to your computer. You can't install Windows with a remote optical drive."

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joel.

-Sorry if this is in the wrong section, new to Mac forums-

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It can be tricky sometimes to get Boot Camp setup properly.

-I assume you are partitioning the HD with Boot Camp Assistant and then formatting it?
-Are you following the install instructions here?:

Boot Camp Help

C

Reaction score
Hi @catoss, this has been long & I’m sure you have long solved your problem.
I am in a not-so-similar situation and one word of answer from you can confirm my next move.

I presently have the "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" screen.

In my Windows 8.1 on BOOTCAMP, I had selected the “Advanced Startup” option to restart with usb/cd/dvd device (from the Boot Options Menu), and the system no longer sees the windows installation OR it requires to complete the reset/refresh/restore cycle via its bootable intaller, before it can resume booting again.

So my question simply is: when you unplugged the optical drive (with the Windows 8.1 installation disk), the screen moved from gray-with-blinking-white-prompt to "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" screen. Then you plugged it back and tapped any key, did it remain on the "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" screen or did it resume with gray-with-blinking-white-prompt.???
Million Dollar question for me right now..!

Ask a Question