WiFi inoperable

Reaction score
Newbie here. I have been using the wifi with my iMac for some time, but it recently quit. The icon in the upper right of the screen is "x"'d out. I am now running with a cable connect. Any suggestions for getting back my wifi?

Reaction score
Something must have happened with the Network settings. Go to System Preferences, and select the Network Preference pane.

Reaction score
The wifi was turned off. I tried to turn it on, but nothing happens. Also, when I right click on the wifi symbol in the upper right info bar, it says no hardware installed. Sounds like something fried itself.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Could it be an issue with the router? Also, via the Network Preference Pane, it is a simple matter to switch back to an Ethernet Cable connection.

And finally, do you remember the Network name?

Reaction score
It could be a modem/router issue, but I don't think so 'cause my ipad works ok. I have already plugged in the ethernet cable, thus my ability to be online. I have the nework name set to automatic and there are three options under that drop menu: castlelink and two with dates. I have tried all three to no avail.

Ask a Question