Why were my files “moved”

Reaction score
I have a folder that contained jpeg and rw2 files. I used the view setting so that the jpeg files were separated from the rw2 files, selected the jpeg files and dragged them to a desktop folder. They were “moved”; I expected them to be “copied”.

Though I’ve been using a Mac for awhile, this is my first time “separating” files.

Thank you

Reaction score
If you just "drag" a file/files/folder to the desktop, that is a "move" action, and thus the file/files/folder will no longer be in its original location. If you just want to copy the item, hold down the Option key while dragging the item. It will then be copied, but will still be in its original location.

Reaction score
Thank you. That is exactly what happened. Are there times when the default is a "Copy"? I know that I have had to use the Cmd-Opt with the "V" (paste) to "Move" the file, otherwise it was just a "Copy".

Todd

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OX?
-Where is the folder the files were in originally, before attempting to move them to a Desktop folder?

The Finder default is to move, and has always been that way. If permissions aren't correct, sometimes it will copy instead of move.

C

Reaction score
Thank you! I’m so use to using Copy n’ Paste that drag n’ drop surprised me. Now I under why pressing the Cmd key is used.

Todd

Ask a Question