Why does my right click act like a left click? Please help!

Reaction score
Why does my right click act as if it's a left click? For instance, if I right click on an application, it will open just as a left click would do. Basically, the left click and the right click have the same functionality when it shouldn't do that.

How do I fix this? If it helps any, this problem started happening after I just re-installed Mac OS X Lion.

Please help!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Try going to:

Apple > System Preferences > Mouse

Depending on which mouse you are using, you need to look for Secondary Click or Secondary Button and make sure it us set to right side or right button.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Try going to:

Depending on which mouse you are using, you need to look for Secondary Click or Secondary Button and make sure it us set to right side or right button.

C

When I click on "Mouse" in the System Preference's, it doesn't give me the option to set it to "right side" or "right button".

It just says.

"Wait for a Bluetooth mouse to be discovered, or connect a USB mouse.
If your Bluetooth mouse doesn't appear, make sure it has batteries and is turned on".

What do I do?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
We'll need a little more information to get this sorted.

-Are you using an Apple Mouse or a third-party mouse?
-Is it USB wired or Bluetooth wireless?
-Which Mac are you using?

C

Reaction score
We'll need a little more information to get this sorted.

-Are you using an Apple Mouse or a third-party mouse?
-Is it USB wired or Bluetooth wireless?
-Which Mac are you using?

C

Okay, it seems that I was able to fix that problem. Turns out it was a minor issue that I could of fixed in the Trackpad.

But now that I have installed Boot Camp Assistant on my Mid 2009 MacBook Pro A1286, I've gotten the same problem again except on BootCamp only.

What do I do? I've installed the WindowsSupport software and it's still like that.

The right click and the left click both work as primary functions for the computer. I can literally select, click, or drag with my right click when it's not supposed to be like that.

How do I make it normal again? I've done everything. Please help!

Reaction score
Right click acts like it's a left click on Boot Camp Assistant

I've posted another thread like this and I was fortunately able to fix it.

Turns out I have the same problem again except that it's only on Boot Camp Assistant after I've just installed it.

My right click literally acts like it's a left click. I can select, click, or drag with my right click when it's not supposed to be like that.

Basically, the right click and the left click both have the same functionality.

So I can't even use the drop-down menu. I simply don't have that function anymore.

This is on a Mid 2009 MacBook Pro A1286.

I've done everything I could. This is especially hard to fix.

Please help!

Reaction score
I am having the same issue, just downloaded the new Boot Camp Assistant software, and now my hot keys (sound, brightness, etc.) won't work, and the two-finger right click on my trackpad (I have a Macbook Pro) will not work. Anyone have a fix?

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Try going to:

C
Hi , I've also got a problem with my mighty mouse, the right click also acts like a left click .
Its a bluetooth mouse and I'm using a mac os sierra, the settings i have are like they're meant to be 9primary button is in the right place and left click in the right place swell. the scroll ball and side buttons also don't work, what should i do?

Ask a Question