why does auto-mount of afp:// shares ask for login credentials?

Reaction score
My users login to their Macs using Active Directory usernames and passwords.

The Macs are bound to the Active Directory.

I put some smb:// shares in Login Items so that the network shares would be loaded automatically at login, and it worked great. The users have permissions to this shares via their Active Directory credentials, so the shares appeared and were authenticated without any extra work from the users, as it simply used their session credentials.

I changed those exact same shares to afp:// shares and now every time they login, OS X (El Capitan) asks for their credentials to connect to the afp:// shares. They enter the very same credentials they used to login, and the shares load just fine.

Why is OS X not using the session credentials to login to the afp:// shares as it does for the smb:// shares? How can I fix this?

I have one clue, but I'm not sure if it means anything. When the authentication window pops up for the afp:// shares asking for username and password, the Username is already prepopulated, but with the user's full name instead of their actual username. In other words, my usernames are something like firstname-lastname and this is what they use both to login and to successfully authenticate the shares, but when the afp:// share authentication window pops up, it is prepopulated with Firstname Lastname, which won't work until they change it to firstname-lastname. Is it possible that OS X is trying to login with the user's full name for afp:// shares?

I tried setting the Login Item to afp://%short_name%@server.domain.com in an attempt to force the use of the username, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I have noticed this as well. Not sure when it changed, but I believe in Yosemite? Have you tried totally disabling SMB shares?

I don't believe there should be a difference using full name vs account name for this, but I guess it could affect it.

I do know that some folks have used AppleScript/Automator to correct this, but I don't recall where I read the steps needed.

I will let you know if I come across additional information.

C

Ask a Question