WebSite Loading Problem

Reaction score
I am using a MacBook Pro Silver (15-inch, 2016), OS 10.14.3, Processor: 2.6 GHz. Intel Core i7, Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz. LPDDR3. I use Safari 12.0.3. I have ATT WiFi.

Up until a few days ago I could go to any WebSite and it would load up within a few seconds. Now, I clear the Safari History, log onto the Web, and I can go to any Website for about 3 or 4 Websites, then, log onto a Website and it won't load. The tracer goes about 10% across the loading indicator and then stops. I can pick several other Websites and they are all the same. I have to clear the Safari History, close Safari, shut down the WiFi, Restart the computer, and then everything works again for another 3 or 4 WebSites, and it does the same thing all over again.

The computer works normally when I am not on the Web.

What has happened?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I would take a look at any Safari Extensions that are installed, check for malware with Malwarebytes for Mac, and possibly update to 10.14.4 and Safari 12.1.

See if any of that resolves the issue and let us know.

C

Reaction score
I downloaded the Malwarebytes, as recomended, and it found 8 items that it isolated. I trashed those, and now everything is back to normal. I am thinking that the Malware that was on the computer came from a USPS notification. A week ago I was tracking a package that I had ordered, and was being delivered by USPS. I have always selected Google, entered USPS, and then selected USPS tracking, and the tracking page appears and I enter the tracking number to see the location of the package and its progress. One time, when I selected the tracking page, a new and different page came up. I thought that maybe USPS had upgraded, and I entered the tracking number and it notified me that the new system required that I install the new USPS app to continue. I started the download, and then about halfway through I stopped the download and left the page, thinking that this was quite strange. I had been getting Emails regularly about information from USPS that I had always ignored. They were mostly in the SPAM folder.

Just awhile ago I got a dropdown that said updates were available, and do I want to install them now. I went to the Mac app store, and there were no new updates listed.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Glad that worked for you.

I don't know of any USPS application, so definitely sounds like a malware event. For my shipments, I either use their actual web page, or the Deliveries application, which actually syncs all my deliveries between my Macs and iOS devices.

Not sure I have seen a "drop-down" that states there are updates - was this in a browser by chance? Get a screenshot of it if it happens again. I normally track updates via the MacUpdate website. I don't download the updates from their site, as they have been known to add their software to them. I use the application's update mechanism if it has one, or download the updaters directly from the software company's website directly. That way, I know I am getting the genuine article. Apple updates come from the App Store/Software Updater, as do the updates for applications I have purchased on the App Store itself.

C

Ask a Question