Web sites not loading

Reaction score
Recently, many web sites will not load...they will start to load, get to about 10% and then stop.

Talked with the Apple Help Desk twice. First, they tried to blame the internet connection but all other devises (wife's iMac, two iPads, etc.) work fine; then we restarted the iMac; then we shut it down and started in safe mode; then we turned off the internet connection and turned it on again; then we deleted all history, etc., etc. Final comment was that the machine is too old...got it in Dec 2012...and I need a new one since they don't make parts for this one any more.

If I restart or shut down, most sites load at first. However, once I try to go to other sites, they will not load and I have to restart again. Have run malware and no issues have been detected.

Anyone ever run into this problem?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

A few troubleshooting questions to get us started:
-Which exact model iMac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Are you using Safari, Google Chrome, Firefox, etc.?
-Who is your ISP?
-Do you have any third-party utilities like MacKeeper, antivirus, etc.?
-Have you tried creating another user to see if the issue happens in that user?

C

Reaction score
Hi,
Model - iMac 21.5 inch, late 2012
Version - macOS Mojave
Using Safari
ISP - Xfinity
Third party utilities - Malwarebytes
Another user - No and not sure I know how to do that!

Interestingly, I haven't run into the problem in the last 24 hours despite having had issues for at least a few weeks. Go figure!

Thanks for your interest!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional information.

Strange as it may seem, I have heard of this affecting a single device, then magically fixing itself. I would monitor it for the next few days, and let us know if the issue persists. I assume you have run Malwarebytes, correct?

Good luck!

C

Reaction score
I spoke too soon. Right after replying to you, I ran into the same issue again. I restarted and decided to use Google Crome instead of Safari. So far, so good. Perhaps something is up with Safari? I'll keep monitoring....

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK..sounds like it may be something in Safari. You could check in Safari > Preferences... > Extensions. See if there is anything in there, and let us know.

C

Ask a Question