VHS Recording to DVD with Onestep DVD

Reaction score
I want an easy way to burn VHS tapes directly to dvd. I have a conventional VHS player that I can connect to my mac via a Blackmagicdesign video recorder but it still takes multiple steps to convert, then save, then format, then burn a dvd. According to idvd you can connect your camcorder to your mac and use the onestep DVD option to burn a dvd. Can that same option be used to burn from a VHS player???

Reaction score
Thats is correct, recording from VHS will probably save the file as a file that can be played on the computer. Creating the VOB files and burning them out is always a major undertaking.

iDVD makes it drag and drop easy, but it still take a long time to encode it.

Reaction score
I have run into a snag trying to copy VHS onto DVDs. Bought a video capture cable. That hooks up the VHS to iMac. Then had to buy a DRM program. I have done all that and now made a disc but I am not able to play it on any of my DVD players.

Any advice?

Reaction score
Then had to buy a DRM program.
What? No enough information here.
What software did you use to capture, edit and burn the DVD?

DVD Players require VOB files to play.

Reaction score
I used Elgato video capture to download my VHS onto my computer and I downloaded it as a MPEG. Should I re-download it as a different type of file?

I then uploaded my MPEG DVD file onto LEAWO Video Converter Pro and attempted to burn the DVD from that program. After about an hour of burning it was done, but when I put the DVD into my DVD player it would not play. The DVD player would project Disc Error.

I have tried to drop the MPEG DVD file into iDVD but the program says it is too large at 6.5 GB, and that I need to change the encoder setting in the project info window.

What do you think?

Reaction score
Step one is good.

Step 2 I use iDVD

You need to pre compress it or get a double layered DVD, if your burner takes them. Thats is were the problem is LEAWO is not making the DVD or conversion correctly.

To Pre Compress open it in QuickTime player and Export... Video Codecs and compression is a black art. You may have to try multiple settings to get the right size/quality.

Don't no what you're recording but it sounds like it should be edited down.

Ask a Question