Using Windows programs on a Mac

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am new to mac due to my "iBrother" who is an avid mac user. I must say I love it and find it so easy to use once I was familiar with the terminology, however one thing that grieves me is I have quite a few expensive genealogy software programs that I can no longer use as that are not compatible with the mac. I heard there was something - windows emulation for mac but I don't understand what I should be looking for exactly. I did try to google it but just for more confused.
I want something that is easy to install and use I don't want to upset my pc. I just want to be able to access my programs.
I have a Mac Mini OX S
Your opinions and help would be appreciated
Cheers Tracy

Reaction score
Are you sure there isn't a Mac App that will read your genealogy files, if they use the standard formats there should be.

Setting up Windows on any computer is not for the faint of heart.
We normally use Parallels but there are others like VMWare.

You can also use BookCamp but that just turns your Mac into a Windows PC, and you have to keep restarting your Mac to change to Windows.

karazelle

Reaction score
The process to make this work involve:
- Getting a copy of Windows. Windows XP Home is the least resource intensive. Windows 7 Home Premium is the latest version. This depends on the system requirements of the software. Windows costs money, so you need to look at the cost of Windows vs similar software on Mac.
- Get vmware fusion or parallels desktop. Both of these are good. I use vmware, but I have also tried parallels. One of them is enough.
The benefit with these is they will automatically install and configure Windows for you. You will only need to add your software at the end and you're done. Unfortunately these also cost money...
- or get Oracle VirtualBox. This does the same as parallels or vmware fusion, but is absolutely legally free. However, the cost is lack of help. It will not help you install Windows. However, all hope is not lost if you find a friendly geek somewhere, who does not even need to be very Mac proficient. You still need the Windows install CD/DVD though. VirtualBox will behave like a new blank PC within its window. Anyone with somewhat advanced PC skills should be able to help you from there, or you can ask us again. :)

After installing and setting up either of vmware fusion, virtual box or parallels, you will essentially see and use Windows in a window or fullscreen and be able to run your software within it. Just insert the genealogy software CD, and either it will just appear in the Windows window, or you may need to click on the CD icon surrounding the border of the window, and it should appear. From thereon out its as if you were using a PC.

Reaction score
Karazelle,

I too came from PC and wanted to use some PC programs on my IMac but after using them now I want to gelete both of them Parallels and XP but no where is there an instruction to do this, can you help

Ask a Question