Using old mac to create dual display

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I purchased a New Mac in December 2019. According to the specifications I have Thunderbolt 3 digital output and 3 x USB3 ports. I am hoping to connect my old mac mid 2010 with mini display port to use as a dual monitor. HELP! Not the most techno savvy and am confused by the adapters/docks/cables it says I need. When I purchased the new mac I was told that I would have the capability once connected using Target display mode command f2. If anyone can tell me exactly what i need to purchase (adapter? dock? which cables?) I would soooooo greatly appreciate it!! With the COVID outbreak I am now working from home and have dual monitor capability would really make my life easier. THANK YOU

Reaction score
Thanks. Have you seen this? Says that only the 27" mid 2010 model can be used.

Reaction score
Thanks but when I search Amazon I am not seeing such a cable?? I would need a thunderbolt to mini display port if I am reading correctly...sorry this is so confusion

Reaction score
I don't think you have read my post or the link correctly. The link says that only the 27" mid 2010 iMac can be used in Target Disk Mode. You say you have the 21" model.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Darn, I guess I can't use it... Thank you for all your help! I really appreciate your taking so much time to help me.

Ask a Question