Using Leopard Spaces

Reaction score
"You can also drag any window you see in any space to any other space" says Help. How does that actually work - what do I do?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
As you know Bob, I'm still using Tiger. You need to enable 'Bird's Eye View' to be able to drag windows around.

In Birds-eye view you can view all your spaces onscreen at the same time. Try hitting the F8 key to bring up Birds-etc view.

Reaction score
Thanks - it would have been obvious if I hadn't thought that F8 did the same thing as the Spaces icon in the desktop menubar. I'm getting the hang of it now.

This is getting ridiculous - I seem to have crashed the Finder by trying to use a USB memory stick someone lent me to put some Word files on. Even though I deleted everything from it it still said of about 250Mb most was used and only about 6Mb was left. I thought maybe if I took it out & reinserted it it would have cleared itself, but it didn't and now it doesn't show on the desktop, but nor does anything else. I've Force Quit relaunched the Finder, but it won't come back. I'll try restart.

Reaction score
This may sound a bit stupid but have you tried emptying the recycle bin after deleting things from the USB stick? OSX wont free up space till you delete it from the recycle bin after deleting it in Finder. It took me a while to figure this out when i switched to Mac so no offense intended if this is really obvious and I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, so to speak.

Reaction score
If by recycle you mean trash, that didn't/wouldn't work. The problem isn't on the internal HD, but on the stick. Perhaps this thread should now be renamed or restarted as "USB memory sticks" - maybe the overseers could advise on this. I've never used memory sticks before (to the surprise and derision of younger extended family members). I think there may be formatting rituals to be observed. Get Info for the blank Stick window reveals:
Format: MS-DOS (FAT16)
Capacity: 125.5 MB
Available: 6.2 MB
Used: 119.2 MB on disk (124,997,632 bytes)
After a while the desktop icon spontaneously ejects itself and warns me that it was improperly removed, even though the stick itself is still sitting in the USB slot with a little red light on.
MacOS Help doesn't think there are such things as USB memory sticks. I thought they may be called memory cards, but it seems those are different things requiring a PC Card slot, which I don't think I have.
"Reformat" offers me the opportunity to mangle my internal HD to install or remove Windows. No thanks.
The instructions with Boot Camp Assistant.app, which I had to print out, doesn't seem to have anything useful.
Computing: the incompetent in pursuit of the incomprehensible.

Ask a Question