USB Ethernet adapter

Reaction score
I have a problem with drivers and would appreciate help.

I am trying to run a Blackmagic ATEM TV Studio from my MacBookPro which connects vis Ethernet and USB. I've got an Ethernet/USB adapter which was working fine and then I decided (as it was good housekeeping) to make sure the drivers were up to date. When I loaded from the supplied disk the Ethernet connection stopped. When I check the hardware profile it can see the ethernet adapter and has the correct name but when I check networking to alter the IP etc it shows as Ethernet Not Connected.

When I connect to my iMac without the drivers everything is fine. I'm new to Mac so would appreciate some assistance. I can't see the drivers anywhere and I've opened up all the hidden files, checked the modified dates etc and tried a search but still can't see them. I think I need to delete them but how do I do this if I can't see them.

When I used a PC I would simply use System Restore and revert to a point before I installed the drivers - is there a similar mechanism for Mac? Thanks.:confused:

Reaction score
Thanks Kaveman,

I do have TImeMachine but I don't know which folder is the driver folder to restore and I don't want to have to restore the whole machine unless I really have to!

Any idea on what folder might be my best option - I've tried looking at those that have been modified since the date but I can't see anything obvious (I've unhidden all files).

Unfortunately, it's not my BlackMagic box that's at fault it's the ethernet/USB adapter; the BlackMagic ATEM TV Studio hangs on the other end of the ethernet cable & It's working fine because when I plug it into my iMac all the little ethernet lights come on at both ends (adapter and ATEM), just not when I plug into my MacBook.

Serves me right for trying good housekeeping I guess!

Reaction score
Having tried several options now I can get the USB ethernet to be seen (on my iMac without the drivers, but not on my MBP with them). However, the device can be seen but not controlled this way it seems.

I've called Blackmagic Designs and they use Ethernet to Thunderbolt adapters and have not tried USB/Ethernet. However, the ATEM TV studio works fine on an old PC when plugged directly into a native ethernet port.

I shall try the thunderbolt adapter then post on success here. But advice seems to be that the USB/ethernet adapter might not work with anything other than internet connections rather than for controlling local networked devices - might be the lack of speed meaning it's not gigabit ethernet.

Also the thunderbolt/ethernet adapter is the same price from Apple as their USB/ethernet adapter. But also check the comments because there seems to be a few issues if using the thunderbolt adapter and a thunderbolt/DVI adapter.

Ask a Question