USB Bus failure? 2014 Mac mini

Reaction score
My 2014 Mac Mini has just lost all USB functions; no accessories are recognized. Is this reparable?

Reaction score
Do you use an Apple Wireless Keyboard on your Mac mini?

Have you tried to reset the NVRAM? You do this by turning on the mini and holding down the Commad Option P R keys as soon as you hit the power button on your Mac. Continue holding the keys down for about 20 seconds.

If you are unable to do this, you can reset the NVRAM by using the Terminal. Open the Terminal and type in sudo nvram -c then Enter. When prompted, type in your admin password (you will not see anything when you type this) and then hit Enter. Next, type in sudo shutdown -r now and press Enter.

After 15 seconds start your Mac and see if your USB ports work.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do you use an Apple Wireless Keyboard on your Mac mini?

Have you tried to reset the NVRAM? You do this by turning on the mini and holding down the Commad Option P R keys as soon as you hit the power button on your Mac. Continue holding the keys down for about 20 seconds.

If you are unable to do this, you can reset the NVRAM by using the Terminal. Open the Terminal and type in sudo nvram -c then Enter. When prompted, type in your admin password (you will not see anything when you type this) and then hit Enter. Next, type in sudo shutdown -r now and press Enter.

After 15 seconds start your Mac and see if your USB ports work.
Thanks for trying to help, yes, I use an Apple Wireless Keyboard, and although I followed your instructions several times, no camera or external usb drive is recognized. I fear that I had chained together too many cameras and drives for the old 2014 mini to power, and that it overheated. Hence, I was wondering if it is reparable (e.g., is there a fuse?).

Reaction score
Unfortunately there is no fuse that you can juust replace.

One other thing to try is to just unplug your Mac mini for 30 seconds and plug it back in. This resets the SMC.

If this does not work, the 2014 mini has 2 Thunderbolt 2 Ports. You may be able to find an older Thunderbolt 2 Hub that will give you some USB ports.

Ask a Question