USB Audio Issue

Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting my Mac to recognize incoming audio from an external USB source. In the Sound panel of System Preferences, the Input volume meter should be moving as the audio comes in, but nothing is happening. The sound input is set to "USB Audio Device". Apparently there should be a sound input that says "USB Audio CODEC", but no such input is listed.

I am using a MacBook Pro running El Capitan 10.11.6 and the external device is a Grace Digital Audio Tape2USB II.

Can you help me troubleshoot this please?

Audacity is not recognizing the incoming audio either.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Are you trying to play audio or digitize/record it? Sometimes. OS X/macOS will not pass-thru external audio from USB devices, to prevent feedback - as there are a lot if USB microphones and audio interfaces that accept microphones. Automatic pass-through of audio from those devices can easily cause a feedback loop, which can in turn damage speakers.

Try launching GarageBand or Audacity, select the Grace Audio Device as the input, and enable pass-through in the settings for the application.

C

Ask a Question