Upgrades

Reaction score
Hi there. I hope that someone can part with some pearls of wisdom. I currently have a G4 (AGP Graphics 450MHz) and am desperate to upgrade the CPU. I have checked on e-bay and someone is selling a G4 867MHz Quicksilver processor. unfortunately I am very far from technically minded and would not have a clue if this is likely to be compatible.

Please help.
many Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

I am not totally sure. The logic boards in the two machines are very different, yet many third-party processor upgrades will work in both of those machines.

G4 (AGP Graphics)
Bus: 100MHz
Memory: PC100 3.3v
Slots: 64-bit 33MHz PCI, 2x AGP
Power Supply: 200W

G4 (QuickSilver)
Bus: 133MHz
Memory: PC133 3.3v
Slots: 64-bit 33MHz PCI, 4x AGP
Power Supply: 360W

The biggest thing I can see is the power supply wouldn't have enough power to drive the higher speed processor. In addition, the third-party upgrades have an additional fan/larger heatsink to accomodate for the difference in the case designs.

Personally, I would buy a third-party upgrade from Sonnet Technologies, PowerLogix, etc. It would definitely be compatible, and you can get them for short money at higher speeds.

C

Reaction score
the quicksilver processor wil NOT work in a agp G4
cant have it wont be done dont even think about it

the best option you have is buying a fast G4 sonnet card the instal is easy
barley 5 minutes work
it works under os 9 and os X

Ask a Question