Unable to install mac OS on new HDD

hls

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've just bought a 2009 macbook pro off a friend; the old hard drive was broken, so I've bought and installed a new one, however I'm having some trouble installing the OS on to it.

When I turn it on, I hear the chime, and the screen lights up but stays white. Sometimes there is the flashing folder icon with the question mark in, but most of the time it's just a plain white screen. When I insert the OS disk, it spins for a few seconds then is ejected. I've tried inserting the disk and turning it off before it's ejected, but when I turn the system back on, it is ejected again. If I hold option on startup (in attempt to access the startup manager) the cursor appears and I can move it, however I still can't see or select the hard drive or the disk if it is inserted.

I've tried all sorts of combinations of keys during the startup which I've found in guides to installing the OS on a fresh HDD but nothing seems to work; I haven't found anyone with the same issue as me. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the new hard dive but this did nothing. I understand that you need a universal OS disk to install on any mac. I believe the two grey disks I have are the ones which came with the mac, but I also have the snow leopard installation disk; these disk all act the same, and are ejected briefly after inserting.

This is the first mac I've owned and I'm not quite sure how to go about solving the problem. I'd be very grateful if someone could provide any help because the warranty is no doubt over, and I'd rather not have to pay to have it fixed if there is a more simple solution.

Thank you!

Ask a Question