Two led indicators (trickle power and GPU) but will not boot

Reaction score
Hi,
I upgraded the RAM on my 2017 iMac but now it will not boot up. I have tried putting the old RAM in again but there is no change. When I plug it in the first LED indicator light turns on. When I press the power button a second light turns on but it skips the light above the first, as in lights 1 and 3 turn on. I think this indicates trickle power and GPU communication. I do not know what could cause this as I opened and removed all the components carefully. The indicator lights are the only signs of life, there are no beeps and the fan does not spin. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

IMG_20220206_031253_2.jpg

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I haven't repaired any of the newer iMac models that use the adhesive for the display. As is stated by Apple, the RAM isn't a user-upgradeable component in your model, as it requires the logic board to be removed. Internal components can be damaged without proper training and anti-static procedures.

That said, Apple doesn't publish schematics or diagnositc LED information, so I am not sure what the issue could be. It sounds like there may be a connector not seated fully or some form of static damage may have occurred.

Maybe another member here has some experience and will chime in.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. I will try expecting the connectors closely. Hopefully it isn't static damage.

Cheers

Ask a Question