two (hopefully) easy queries

Reaction score
Hi all,
new to macs and have a slight problem
I do a radio show fortnightly and set up my show in itunes and list all the music as a playlist. When putting the show together on my pc I used to copy all the info and paste it into a word doc in word using"paste special" and unformatted text and it would paste into a template table I have created.
I have the same template table in pages 09 but Im not sure how to paste in just the text not the tracks themselves.
the other issue I am not used to is application pages kind of sliding off the desk top.
I think it is probably something I am doing with the mouse or cursor? any advice or comment on both of my qurries gratefully accepted
cheers

Reaction score
I have the same template table in pages 09 but Im not sure how to paste in just the text not the tracks themselves.
Thats the way the Mac works, the App chooses what format to Paste.

Open TextEdit, New Document, Format > Make Plain Text, Paste, then you can copy and paste the text into Pages.

the other issue I am not used to is application pages kind of sliding off the desk top.
sorry no idea what you mean???

Reaction score
sorry no idea what you mean???

Yes I knew this one would cause most consternation as I am not sure what I am doing to cause it and its kind of hard to explain.
I work with a part time tech who I will ask when I bring my mac into work next, just thought (maybe) that it could be a common thing that could be easily disabled, I'll keep exploring and learning,
thanks for your response I'll try the method on pasting tonight
cheers
Adrian

Reaction score
Are you in Full Screen mode?

Does the Menu pop down when you move the mouse to the top of the screen?

If this is what you want to stop, there is a blue button on the right end of the menubar to take it out of full screen mode.

This probably happened when you "muscle memory" close, which on Windows is the same location as Full Screen mode.

Reaction score
If I am in full screen I have no problem and I am getting used to the top menu bar coming and going, it is when I am in that semi minimised version that the notifications bar will appear on the rh side of the screen and if I am using say itunes it will seem to slide to the left and top of the screen leaving only about 5mm of the window. If I click on that I can drag it back to fill most of the screen. I guess I should run the programs in full screen as I did with the pc. I am just still getting used to how everything responds and the differences with ctrl/options/alt /control/shift and the windows button First significant change in computing systems in 25 years, but I am loving the responsiveness that mac has over pc

Reaction score
Reaction score
The text thing is sorted thanks for the help on textedit, that works a dream, but I will make a new template just for the mac, all the same
the sliding page issue I will just have to work on, its not the track pad but might be my mouse, and if I make the page fill the screen no issue so if I work out what I am actually doing to cause the problem, I'll post it up
thanks again folks

Reaction score
Hi,

so if I work out what I am actually doing to cause the problem, I'll post it up

Would be good as this is strange, and may help others if they encounter the sliding window effect.

Reaction score
Ok I have been using the macbook pro a bit more and this is what I do:

an application is open, say itunes, it is not in full screen mode, I have not clicked the small blure button on the menu bar. So the screen will be showing some of the desk top "behind" the window that is open.

If I grab the mouse and move the cursor over the screen say from right to left fairly fast, the open application slides off to the left following the mouse action. This leaves maybe 5 mm of the bottom of that window still visible on the screen, I would then click on that "edge" to re-instate the window to the screen. This does not happen if I am in "full" screen mode.
Now I should say that as a long term windows user I am used to having a number of windows open and switching between programs as I need them, It may just be a different way of operating in the mac environment.
I hope this helps explain what I am experiencing and gives enough of an idea for you good people to maybe offer me advice

Reaction score
I think you are activating "Show Desktop"

to check this hold fn and press F11 (function key) top row.

You can turn this off
System Preferences > Trackpad > More Gestures > Show Desktop

Reaction score
thanks I turned off that preference last night so it was def. "on" I didnt need to do any work last night so I turned of the laptop and spent some time with my wife but I will give it a try tonight maybe, It did seem to not behave that way tho' so thanks again

Reaction score
interestingly the window is still sliding and it hap[pens when i move the cursor quickly across the window, I dont have to click or swipe on the mouse or track pad. It also works back the same way, as in I can click and drag the window back from the edge of screen or just move the mouse in the direction from the edge where the "hidden window" is to the full screen and the window slides back into place
sort of getting used to it so its not a big issue

Reaction score
Hi,

My only thought is that this is a preference setup within mission control, open it up and have a look to see how you have hot corners set up etc.

Reaction score
Hi,

My only thought is that this is a preference setup within mission control, open it up and have a look to see how you have hot corners set up etc.

you have hit the nail on the head with this i couldnt find the hot corners preference at first until i opened it in settings
iam getting more used to this enjoyable computer
even my wife has warned me not to become a mac snob ha ha

Reaction score
Hi adrian,

Pleased the suggestion was correct, you had my old grey cells confused for a while.
even my wife has warned me not to become a mac snob ha ha

Will just add that since moving to Macs many years ago both my personal and work life are a lot less stressful due to the simplicity of how Macs operate and respond compared to the frustratingly clunky way Windows machines do. They are just a joy to use.

Ask a Question