Two devices, one router, two IP addresses?

Reaction score
Greetings-

So, i'm currently living in Paris. (Nice place.) We have wifi through Orange, (a local provider), no problems. When I went to download Songza on my MBP I got the message that since I was out of the U.S., Songza was not available. Fair enough. But when I downloaded the app on my 2010 iPad it worked. Very mysterious. I also noted that the IP address for the two devices differs by one digit, the last one. Is there any way I can fool my MBP into using the same IP as the iPad? Somehow the iPad thinks it's still in America. (Both devices were purchased there.) I'm trying to avoid investing in a VPN if possible.

Maybe this is obvious to someone?
Thanks very much.

Stan

Reaction score
The IP address of every device has to be different. Normally if you are within the same local net they will have the same first 3 sets, with only the last number different. This has nothing at all to do with Songza working on 1 device and not the other.

My guess is that the iPad version doesn't do the same region checking. The Apps are very different. Also you can't save or highjack audio on an iPad so often they can get different licences from the music companies.

To masquerade as from another country is a type of piracy. You will need to go to the darkside for more information on that.

Reaction score
Thanks, that's very helpful. It hadn't occurred to me that it could be in the app itself.

S

Ask a Question