Transfer Apps From Old Mini to New

Reaction score
Just bought a new (2021) Mac mini. What is the easiest way to transfer apps from old (2014) mini to the new one?

Reaction score
Just bought a new (2021) Mac mini. What is the easiest way to transfer apps from old (2014) mini to the new one?
When you initially fire up the new Mac, the set-up procedure will open and you will be guided through the steps, starting with entering your Apple ID, all the way to migrating your old information from a backup, ideally Time Machine.

However, there are some very helpful tips on this video,

and one of the main points he goes through is to not migrate your old applications from backup, but to reinstall them yourself. However, I went ahead and migrated all my installed apps from backup anyway when I got my Studio. I did have to reinstall several apps, Creative Cloud in particular, which turned into a painstaking session with Adobe support. But everything is working fine now.

Reaction score
dragging over you old apps only installs the app, but not is support files in the library and application support folder set... and trying to "upgrade" these apps to newer versions won't work, as the upgrades look for those files.
there are plenty of old system disks with full install of many early apps (that also install the needed support files) available on eBay. or in Macintosh clubs.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I'll probably just bite the bullet and repurchase the apps. I am the quintessential ludite, so the savings on Excedrin alone will probably offset the cost.

New comp just got here. Haven't even opened the box. But I better get on with it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I'll probably just bite the bullet and repurchase the apps. I am the quintessential ludite, so the savings on Excedrin alone will probably offset the cost.

New comp just got here. Haven't even opened the box. But I better get on with it.
As long as you have licenses for you old apps, you should be able to download and reinstall them at no additional cost, unless they have current paid updates. The paid updates should not cost as much as purchasing the full app over again.

Reaction score
I have Time Machine on an external 4 GB drive. Had to restore my Mac Mini and it worked fine with Migration Assistant from there.

Reaction score
I lost my 2012 iMac 27" High Sierra OS when it seem to have shorted out oaf the recent flood the had in Ipswich, Queensland. anyway. I bought a new 24" iMac M1, and then tried to run Migration assistant. as found a problem that it tried to download all the programs that won't run on Monterey, etc. when I only wanted to save my Mail settings and safari bookmarks etc..... but with time machine it had an all or nothing. trying to fit what almost filled my old Mac 1Tb drive on to my new 512Gig chip, was never going to fit... so Time Machine & Migration assistant are a great concept, but too simplified, and flawed with its approach to different operation systems between old and new computers...

Reaction score
Well, you can't fit 1 TB onto a 512GB drive. I suggest saving some large files (Photos?) onto a 2 or 4 GB external drive. Amazon has them for like $60.

Reaction score
Can I drag large files from one comp to the other? That way I only get what I want. Also I have 2 accounts on the old Mac, and both have information I want. However I want to simplify and have it all on one account.

Got the new one, btw. Now trying to set them both up on a KVM switch so I can use the same screen. It's a ratznest on my desk right now, but I think I almost have it figgered out!

Reaction score
As long as you have licenses for you old apps, you should be able to download and reinstall them at no additional cost, unless they have current paid updates. The paid updates should not cost as much as purchasing the full app over again.
Where would I find a licnse for the apps?

Reaction score
Where would I find a licnse for the apps?
You should have made a record of the license/serial numbers of the apps as soon as you installed them, or even before, when you took the installer disks out of the box. If you purchased them online, you should have received the serial numbers in order to properly activate them, assuming they are not freeware. If you got them from the App Store, you should be able to download them again and Apple should already have your registration information, no need to re-enter proof of ownership.

For independent developers, they should have you on record, probably through your e-mail address. Get in touch with them and tell them about the situation.

If you migrated the applications from Time Machine or other cloned copies, the migration should have reinstalled not only the applications but also all the data connected with them.

Should you find this process to difficult to deal with, at least get in touch with the authors of the apps that you need to reinstall. They might be more than willing to look up your records and provide you with your registration/license information and a new copy of the application.

For multiple apps with certain developers, your individual identity will probably apply to all the programs from them. For example, I started with getting One Drive from Microsoft, and when I later subscribed to Office 365, my initial identity from One Drive became the permanent key to everything else I purchased afterwards.

Reaction score
Hey, appreciate all the help guys. I am on my new mini right now, so I (sorta) have it going! It is faster, and many things just still took care of themselves. But it is NOT user friendly to Luddites! (Which sadly I are). It asked me about several functions (a LONG list) with names and initials, and there wasn't a "How the Heck Do I Know" option anywhere! But it is working. Still a few bugs, but I am fried right now, so ...

Oh, I loaded all my files onto flash drives and transferred them. Took a few minutes for some of the files to load from the old mini. But they loaded onto the new mini almost as fast as a one-page document! I am impressed ... burnt out, but impressed!

Ask a Question