SOLVED To upgrade or not to upgrade

Reaction score
I am a relatively new person to Mac help.
My question is . . . should I update my OS to Mojave from Sierra 10.12.6?
I presently have a (Late 2015) 21.5 inch iMac with Retina 4K display with 8GB onboard RAM, 512GB Solid-State drive. I use a few other programs than those supplied with the machine. I do not have any "speed" problems, but have recently received suggestions to upgrade my OS. If I do an upgrade to the latest OS, what sort of difficulties should I be prepared to encounter, if any? Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
From what I have seen, peoples experiences vary, I have seen quite a few people post with upgrade problems, however I myself have upgraded to Mojave on a MacBookPro and 2 iMacs with no problems.
Before upgrading each machine I did a full Time Machine backup and then cloned the hard drive with SuperDuper.
A full 'clean' install takes a little longer but may be less problematic than upgrading over the top of Sierra.
If you do a search of the forums you will find threads where problems have occured.

Reaction score
Thank you Lufbrarnner, I do have and regularly use Time Machine, but I am unfamiliar with SuperDuper and what a full 'clean' install is. Any info would be appreciated . . . my TimeMachine is 512GB and my Solid-State drive is 512GB - is this problematic?

Reaction score
A full 'Clean' install would be to erase the existing OS and install from scratch or you can just install over the top of Sierra. I have used both methods and had no problems whatsoever.

Ask a Question