Time to give up?

Reaction score
I have a horrible feeling i already know the answer to this question, but here goes nothing... My ibook g4 has been struggling for a while now and a couple of nights ago while i was booting it up it made a strange popping noise,the screen went black and it died and hasn't come back on since. Before i spend money on a lost cause and try and get it fixed, is it time to say a fond farewell?

Reaction score
Alright, first tell me what happens when you attempt to turn it on? Does it react at all: Screen flash, sidelights light up, can you the hear start noise.

Try a few simple fixes like seeing if the MAC is on low power or if the brightness is turned too low... I'm on a desktop so I can't really help you with laptop exclusive problems if you know what I mean.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi DaisyLil, try the advice found at these link:

Troubleshooting portables that won't turn on or start up

Troubleshooting: My computer won't turn on

Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU)

This has some interesting advice (read answer # 9 for instance):

My g4 ibook screen won't turn on

Basically, your iBook may be suffering from a number issues and the best way to figure out what the problem is is to pull out the battery and the power adapter jack. Then, depress the Power button for about 10 seconds. Wait 10 more seconds and put in the battery. If there is any charge in the battery, try pushing the power button and listening to the iBook.

Listen for the hard drive to move and continue to read. That will tell you if the iBook is starting up without video. Listen for the startup sound. Does it chime? If it chimes, then the RAM, processor, and system bus check out fine for function.

You might have some success starting the iBook with a PRAM or PMU reset but either way, please be sure to back up all your valuable files & documents etc as that's the last thing we want you to lose ...