The file is not a movie file.????

Reaction score
when i check my e-mail people send me things that wont open since i got my mac. HELP

That is what it says after i try and open it. they are all ...wmv files.... but i cant watch on my macbook pro Please HELp thanks in advance Richard

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try downloading Flip4Mac

With the Windows Media Components for QuickTime by Flip4Mac, you can play Windows Media files (.wma and .wmv) in QuickTime Player and view Windows Media content on the Internet using a web browser.
This is the Tiger version of Flip4Mac. If you have Leopard there is a Beta release. You can download it from the link found on this page.

..... and while were on the subject, I suggest you also download Perian.

These add-ons will enable the playback of *most* media types.

Perian enables QuickTime application support for additional Media Types:

AVI, FLV, and MKV file formats
MS-MPEG4 v1 & v2, DivX, 3ivX, H.264, FLV1, FSV1, VP6, H263I, VP3, HuffYUV, FFVHuff, MPEG1 & MPEG2 Video, Fraps, Windows Media Audio v1 & v2, Flash ADPCM, Xiph Vorbis (in Matroska), MPEG Layer II Audio
AVI support for: AAC, AC3 Audio, H.264, MPEG4, and VBR MP3
Subtitle support for SSA and SRT​

Both Flip4Mac & Perian are System Preference Panes so when you install them, they are accessed through the System Preferences.

picture_1-20071222-074156.jpg

Reaction score
well i downloaded. Are these programs that are going to run automatically? Are there any certain system preferences i should change? Im using a macbook pro thanks Richard

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
When the files are downloaded you just open them and from memory you should just need to double-click the installer pkgs to install them. If there are any Read Me files, just have a look at them first.

Then they should start working straight away.

Reaction score
thanks....
now i have to wait to get another one of them e-mail attachments...
and see if it opens it up now...

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try this website, it has .wmv movies you can try to watch .... when you click on a movie link, a new browser window should launch with a QuickTime Window in the centre ...

picture_2-20071222-105007.jpg

Ask a Question