System preferences reset on restart + printer stuck on pause

Reaction score
Hey,

I've had a good look around now for solutions to this problem; found a few possibilities but so far they haven't worked/I haven't been able to get them to work.

Before I start it's probably worth mentioning that the problem is on a work Macbook. With work things I would try and get my work to sort it out/fix it. BUT our company has recently been bought out and the tech support is now 7 timezones away + being completely incompetent with Mac OS (from previous talks with them) hence why I'm coming here.

I'm on a Macbook Pro 15":
10.6.8 Snow Leopard
2 Ghz Intel i7
4GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6490M

Now I have 2 problems with it that may well be tied/linked together.

The first is the system preferences reset every time I restart my computer. When researching a found this problem tied in with a lot of other problems (for instance the dock bar resetting) which is not the case with me. There are 2 settings in particular that reset:
- Universal Access -> hearing -> Play stereo as mono. (this resets EVERY restart)
- Displays -> Color. (I am using a second monitor, every so often the colour on the monitor resets to default - this does not happen every restart though)
- Although not a setting, the places in the sidebar of my finder won't save any folders I've added to it and resets on a restart.

Despite the above there are settings that do stay when restarting, for instance the desktop and screen saver preferences are always saved, as are my open window placement (even on the second monitor).

Like I've said I've had a good research about this already and the most common solution is to change the name of my home folder back to what it was upon creation. Unfortunately I'm not able to do that (and I don't know what the original name was) so I can't see if this works. If however that is definitely a solution for my problem I can contact our IT team to do that for me.
Another possible solution is to boot to the recovery partition and to 'reset home directory permissions', which again i've been unable to do as when I try to reboot into the recovery partition is does the internet recovery which just takes too long to try out. Although if this will fix the problem I would be happy to try it out.

The second problem is to do with a printer I'm using. It is a Canon iR 3225 and for some strange reason it is stuck on Pause. Whenever I try and print something new I can resume it for that one print and it will go back on pause with the item still in the queue. For any new print I would have to go in and manually delete the items in the queue and repeat the process.

I've tried reinstalling the drivers for the printer and I've also tried to 'reset printing system' on the printer settings page. The strange thing about this one is that it works fine with other printers, just not this one.

Sorry it's been a long post, I just wanted to try and convey as much info as possible. I really appreciate you reading this and am grateful for any assistance you may offer.

Cheers,
Martyn

Ask a Question