Strange pink and green pixels

Reaction score
I have a late 2009 iMac desktop. When I turn it on it starts normally but after a little bit of time it freezes, and pink & green pixels appear on screen in patterns. The cursor can be moved but does nothing. I just had my hard drive replaced a few months ago and keep everything on an external hd. I haven't been able to find any info online. Hopefully someone out there has some. Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

That is usually a sign that the video card/logic board (depending on the exact model) is failing. Unfortunately that can be an expensive repair as that iMac is out of warranty at this point. If you have an external monitor you can hook up, try that. If the issue happens on the external as well, it is definitely the video card/logic board. If it doesn't, then it may be just the LCD panel, which is also an expensive repair.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
I was thinking something similar to what Cory mentions. Surprisingly, I have had my Sony 19" External monitor since February 2004, and it still works flawlessly (I'm using it on my Mac Mini, and that is where I am typing this)!

Ask a Question