SOLVED Storing photos outside of photos app and create reference files instead

Reaction score
I'm trying to upload my pictures from my camera without the cloud randomly moving and hiding them. Is there any way to store files long term on my huge fusion drive? Why are these drives installed on these computers if we cannot use them? I have iCloud Drive disabled and I still cannot upload my pictures to where I need them to be. I need 6 folders; Ebay, Poshmark, each with listed and edited sub folders. What happened to the file system on macs? I used one 20 years ago and the simplicity was awesome, now its a guessing game I am finding out from all the comments. That is the reason I quit windows. I would upload 800-1000 pictures and only maybe 75% would actually make it to the HDD.

Another question I have is; do the file management apps from the store work, are they stand alone, or will the cloud attack them too? Has anybody used any reliable file managers on their iMac from the store?

Reaction score
How are you currently importing your images? The 'Image Capture' app will let you import images individually or in groups to the location you specify.

Setting up folders and sub folders on you hard drive is a fairly simple task:
Create a folder
  1. On your Mac, click the Finder icon
    058e4af8e726290f491044219d2eee73.png
    in the Dock to open a Finder window, then navigate to where you want to create the folder.
    Alternatively, click the desktop if you want to create the folder on the desktop.
  2. Choose File > New Folder, or press Shift-Command-N.
    If the New Folder command is dimmed, you can’t create a folder in the current location.
  3. Enter a name for the folder, then press Return.

I connect my DSLR to the mac via USB and use Image Capture to import the images to their required location. I have never yet had a problem with this workflow.

Reaction score
When I import my pictures the only apps that show my sd card are photos and preview. Why the editing programs are split into two apps is beyond me. I have to crop, adjust light and color and apply filters in the photo window, I have to change programs to resize my pics, I use preview to add my MB to the picture, which come out my camera raw at 24Mb. By the time they get to the photo app they are below 1Mb and I need 3-10Mb for the sites I sell on.
I am looking at the finder window and my picture folders are not there. If you store your files on the desktop or the applications folder then iCloud Drive will manage them for you, in other words they will be constantly moving around or in the cloud storage which they want to charge for. I have been experiencing this in all the apps on iMac, despite what I read from apple. They say that the desktop and the applications folder are the only folders iCloud Drive has access to. As soon as I am done with this run of listings this iMac is going bye bye. I'm going back to PC and use Corel paint shop pro. File management is very easy as long as the cloud don't get involved. On PC all you have to do is insert the sd card, or flash, or external drive and drag and drop files to almost any folder you can see on the desktop and they usually stay put, at least they have for over 20 years, until the drive to force everyone to use the cloud started about 5 years ago. OR you can plug in the USB connection from the camera and let the software do the work,
I'll have to try that image capture. Where do your folders end up? on the desktop or applications?

You mention "If the New Folder command is dimmed, you can’t create a folder in the current location." Why would the command line be dimmed? I'm running into all sorts of inconsistencies like that. Some times I can sort some times I cannot, some times I can move a file some times I can't in the same apps. In PC you can always move files and folders.
I really like this iMac but there are far too many slow processes for me to deal with. The keyboard drives me nuts because you cannot hold down the right left arrow keys and the curser keeps moving. Or the HOME/END keys that move the curser to either end of the sentence. With what I do every key stroke is valuable. I usually process 1000-2000 pictures per week, from camera to listed ASAP. I have well over 100,000 things to list, and I've been trying to find help which is next to impossible these days. Nobody wants to work for someone else, and those who do are usually thieves, around here anyway.
Thank you for your assistance

Reaction score
The 'New File' would be dimmed in the File menu if you were trying to add a folder in a 'System' area.
I have the icloud switched off on all my macs with no trouble at all.
Does your camera mount as a mass storage device, when connected via USB or if the memory card is put into a card reader?
if so you should be able to 'Drag & Drop' these to a location of your choosing.

Ask a Question