SSL certificate problem

Reaction score
I've got a little problem that's driving me mad.

When I try to access one particular website using my usual account on my desktop Mac - newsthump.com - I get told by both Safari and Firefox that the SSL certificate is invalid.

Firefox says:

newsthump.com uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is only valid for the following names: *.wpengine.com, wpengine.com Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

The thing is, I can access that website quite happily using my MacBook. And I can access that website perfectly well on my desktop Mac if I create a new user account and use that instead of my normal account.

Obviously, there's some user account setting somewhere that's causing this problem - but what?

I've read about deleting the file cert8.db (for Firefox) and tried doing so with Firefox not running, but nothing changed.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or pointers to possible solutions.

Thanks ever so much.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X?
-Which version of Safari and Firefox?

C

Reaction score
macOS 10.13, Firefox 56.0, Safari 11.0.
And now I must confess that I solved the problem myself: it turns out that I had bookmarks pointing to https://newsthump.com on one Mac but not the other - it really is a problem with the site, not with my Mac.

Thank you for your time.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information. Glad you resolved it yourself, and thanks for letting us know.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question