Spreadsheets

Reaction score
I never thought that in retirement I would need to use spreadsheets, but now I do have the need. It seems that my MacBook Pro mid 2012 has no software for spreadsheets. What to do? I can't download Numbes since my OS X Capitan is 10.11.6 version.

Reaction score
I never thought that in retirement I would need to use spreadsheets, but now I do have the need. It seems that my MacBook Pro mid 2012 has no software for spreadsheets. What to do? I can't download Numbes since my OS X Capitan is 10.11.6 version.

Clem, Numbes (Numbers) has been included with all updates of OS10 for years.

Best pace to look is on the App Store. It will tell you which is the latest edition and offer "OPEN" instead of a priced download choice for free.

Reaction score
I use Word 2016 and Excel 2016, but the Apple apps Pages, Numbers, etc. are always installed on my machines, no matter which OS I have been using. In fact, I see them right now in the Applications folder on both of my machines (I am using the latest version of Sierra, OS 10.12.6). They cannot be removed/deleted, even though I do not use them.

It's the same thing with Apple's Mail program. I use Outlook 2016, but Apple Mail is still installed (again, even though I do not use it).

Are you sure Pages, Numbers, etc. are not inside your Applications folder?

Reaction score
Clem, Numbes (Numbers) has been included with all updates of OS10 for years.

Best pace to look is on the App Store. It will tell you which is the latest edition and offer "OPEN" instead of a priced download choice for free.

I too thought Numbers was the answer but my OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 is not supported....can't use IWorks 2006, or Micrsoft Office 2004 either. I'm thinking that I need to upgrade to Sierra. I have 4GB Ram which is the minimum to run....Any thoughts?

Reaction score
I too thought Numbers was the answer but my OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 is not supported....can't use IWorks 2006, or Micrsoft Office 2004 either. I'm thinking that I need to upgrade to Sierra. I have 4GB Ram which is the minimum to run....Any thoughts?

Hmm, I guess Pages, Numbers (and maybe some others?), etc. did not come with El Capitan (OS 10.11.x). Given that I use Word and Excel, I never really noticed while I was on the various "flavors" of El Captan (OS 10.11.0 through 10.11.6).

By the way, the last, and most recent, version of Sierra of V10.12.6. You should be able to get it from the App Store. But, that will be the last version, as High Sierra (OS 10.13) is "on the way". It will supposedly be released in October, but as with the prior tow OS releases, I suspect I'll need to wait, as some of my third party apps will not have upgrades yet for OS 10.13 compatibility. In fact, just like when I upgraded to El Capitan and Sierra, I did not do that until the ".1" version of the OS was available. Two of my critical apps, Onyx and TechTool Pro, did not have upgrades available until after the initial OS release, but not long before the ".1" release. Also, many folks recommend waiting until the ".1" release of a new Mac OS, as the initial one typically has issues/bugs.

Reaction score

I have 4 gig of RAM on both of my Macs, and for Sierra, that is enough. Of course, I keep my Macs "lean, mean, and clean", and also I do not run any "RAM hogging" apps, nor do I run multiple apps at the same time.

Also, make sure any third party apps you have are compatible with Sierra. That is critical too.

Reaction score
I use Word 2016 and Excel 2016, but the Apple apps Pages, Numbers, etc. are always installed on my machines, no matter which OS I have been using. In fact, I see them right now in the Applications folder on both of my machines (I am using the latest version of Sierra, OS 10.12.6). They cannot be removed/deleted, even though I do not use them.

It's the same thing with Apple's Mail program. I use Outlook 2016, but Apple Mail is still installed (again, even though I do not use it).

Are you sure Pages, Numbers, etc. are not inside your Applications folder?

I have thoroughly searched through the apps...I find iWorks 2006 and Microsoft Office 2004....but niether will open as they are no longer supported. So I'm thinking I need to upgrade to Sierra...however currently I only have 4GB ram, the minmum to run Sierra. I need to find out if I can add more memory like I did on my first Mac...it bought me a few more years of use.

Also I tought I'd see if I could past the spreadsheet contents into a Pages table. Your thoughts?

Reaction score
You are incorrect regarding the minimum amount of RAM needed for Sierra. It is 2 gig of RAM. Here are the results of a google search I just did for "RAM Requirements for "RAM Requirements for OS 10.12.6":

https://www.google.com/search?q=RAM...ome..69i57.10506j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You do need at least 8 gig of free disk space, which of course is not the same as RAM. Again, I can categorically state that I have 4 gig of RAM on both of my Macs (a late 2012 Mac Mini, and a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air), with the MIni having a 256 gig internal SSD, and the Air having a 252 gig internal SSD, and that amount of RAM is more than enough for my needs.

Given that you have some outdated apps (do you have any others?), and if you do plan on "upgrading" to Sierra, you need to first get rid of those applications completely. The best (and most) efficient way to do that is to use the excellent free application AppCleaner, available from here:

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

That will get rid of the app, and just about all the other unneeded "stuff" associated with the app.

Also, whatever third party software you have left, you'll need to make sure it is compatible with Sierra. That might involve getting updates.

Next, download OS 10.12.6 from the app store. What will result is a file entitled "Install macOS Sierra" inside your applications folder. You need to make a copy of that file in another location.

You then need to a clean installation of OS 10.12.6, and then "migrate"/copy all your needed stuff from a backup. It is at this point that you need to make a backup. You can use Time Machine, but that process I mentioned above (the clean OS 10.12.6 installation, and the "migration"/copying of needed "stuff" from the backup) will definitely be time consuming. It would be better if you use either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable backup/clone of your "cleaner" system. That way, after the backup is done, you would proceed to do the following:

1. Restart your Mac from that backup. You can do that either from the System Preferences (just find Start Up Disk), or on restarting your Mac, hold down the Option key. You'll then see a list of bootable devices, and the backup should be on that list. Select it.

2. Once booted up, you can then use Disk Utility there to 1) check out your Internal Drive, and 2) if it's OK, Erase and Format it (and if you need to, Partition it).

3. Once that completes, locate the file "Install macOS Sierra" (you did remember to make a copy of it, right?), launch it, select the disk "place" on your internal drive (if you did not partition it, it would be the one and only partition), and proceed with the clean, fresh, "virgin" OS 10.12.6 installation.

4. Once that completes, you'll be offered the opportunity to "migrate"/copy needed stuff from a backup. Just select the backup you just previously made for that.

5. After that completes, restart your Mac. If all is well, you'll be up and running with OS 10.12.6.

If you do that process with a Time Machine backup, you'll first need to boot to the (hidden) recovery HD partition, select Disk Utility form there, then select the option to install Sierra. Both of those processes will take longer, especially the install Sierra option, as the download/installation of OS 10.12.6 will take place over the internet, and I assume you know how slow that can potentially be.

As for your other question, I have never done an "import" of Excel "stuff" into a Word table, but I expect it could be done.

For SuperDuper!, you can use it in demo mode:

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Note that the latest version, V2.9.1, is compatible with OS 10.8 and later. So, as long as you have OS 10.8 or later, you are good to go.

Reaction score
You are incorrect regarding the minimum amount of RAM needed for Sierra. It is 2 gig of RAM. Here are the results of a google search I just did for "RAM Requirements for "RAM Requirements for OS 10.12.6":

https://www.google.com/search?q=RAM...ome..69i57.10506j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You do need at least 8 gig of free disk space, which of course is not the same as RAM. Again, I can categorically state that I have 4 gig of RAM on both of my Macs (a late 2012 Mac Mini, and a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air), with the MIni having a 256 gig internal SSD, and the Air having a 252 gig internal SSD, and that amount of RAM is more than enough for my needs.

Given that you have some outdated apps (do you have any others?), and if you do plan on "upgrading" to Sierra, you need to first get rid of those applications completely. The best (and most) efficient way to do that is to use the excellent free application AppCleaner, available from here:

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

That will get rid of the app, and just about all the other unneeded "stuff" associated with the app.

Also, whatever third party software you have left, you'll need to make sure it is compatible with Sierra. That might involve getting updates.

Next, download OS 10.12.6 from the app store. What will result is a file entitled "Install macOS Sierra" inside your applications folder. You need to make a copy of that file in another location.

You then need to a clean installation of OS 10.12.6, and then "migrate"/copy all your needed stuff from a backup. It is at this point that you need to make a backup. You can use Time Machine, but that process I mentioned above (the clean OS 10.12.6 installation, and the "migration"/copying of needed "stuff" from the backup) will definitely be time consuming. It would be better if you use either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable backup/clone of your "cleaner" system. That way, after the backup is done, you would proceed to do the following:

1. Restart your Mac from that backup. You can do that either from the System Preferences (just find Start Up Disk), or on restarting your Mac, hold down the Option key. You'll then see a list of bootable devices, and the backup should be on that list. Select it.

2. Once booted up, you can then use Disk Utility there to 1) check out your Internal Drive, and 2) if it's OK, Erase and Format it (and if you need to, Partition it).

3. Once that completes, locate the file "Install macOS Sierra" (you did remember to make a copy of it, right?), launch it, select the disk "place" on your internal drive (if you did not partition it, it would be the one and only partition), and proceed with the clean, fresh, "virgin" OS 10.12.6 installation.

4. Once that completes, you'll be offered the opportunity to "migrate"/copy needed stuff from a backup. Just select the backup you just previously made for that.

5. After that completes, restart your Mac. If all is well, you'll be up and running with OS 10.12.6.

If you do that process with a Time Machine backup, you'll first need to boot to the (hidden) recovery HD partition, select Disk Utility form there, then select the option to install Sierra. Both of those processes will take longer, especially the install Sierra option, as the download/installation of OS 10.12.6 will take place over the internet, and I assume you know how slow that can potentially be.

As for your other question, I have never done an "import" of Excel "stuff" into a Word table, but I expect it could be done.

For SuperDuper!, you can use it in demo mode:

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Note that the latest version, V2.9.1, is compatible with OS 10.8 and later. So, as long as you have OS 10.8 or later, you are good to go.

Thank you! I did come across the https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/ site and will start there as no need to carry lots of extraneous programs and items that are not needed. Also good to hear that Sierra will run adequately with 4 G Ram. I have lots of storage space and external drive for backing up, so just need to get busy.

By the way, I was able to successsfully copy and paste sample spreadsheet contents into a Pages Table.

Thank for your help specifics.

Ask a Question