SPIES

Reaction score
From The New York Times 23 March 2017:
------------------------------------------------------------------
The C.I.A. developed tools to spy on Mac computers by injecting software into the chips that control the computers’ fundamental operations, according to the latest cache of classified government documents published on Thursday by WikiLeaks. ...All of the surveillance tools that have been disclosed were designed to be installed on individual phones or computers. But the effects could be much wider. Cisco Systems, for example, warned customers this week that many of its popular routers, the backbone of computer networks, could be hacked using the C.I.A.’s techniques.

...The spy software described in the latest documents was designed to be injected into a Mac’s firmware, a type of software preloaded in the computer’s chips. It would then act as a “listening post,” broadcasting the user’s activities to the C.I.A. whenever the machine was connected to the internet.
------------------------------------------------------------------

article

I have two Mac Pro LapTops, one abut 10 years old, and other a new Mac Pro Silver w/Sierra. I previously connected to the Internet through ATT land line with the older Mac. I now use ATT WiFi. It is right in front of me, and I can see the lights on it indicating the various functions operating.

The WiFi light is off most of the time, generally. It might blink a couple of times when I log onto the Internet, whether I use the old Mac or the new one. I have noticed that sometimes, when I log on with the new Mac, the WiFi light will blink furiously. Awhile back, the light blinked furiously for more than 3.5 hours while I was on the Net. When I log off, I turn off the WiFi. If I, then, log on again with the old Mac, the light doesn't blink furiously, just with the new Mac. I have been informed that the furiously blinking light is data transfer. I don't know if it is data transfer to, or from, the Mac.

Right now, I am entering this material with the old Mac. The light is off. If I logged on with the new Mac, the light would begin furiously blinking again.

Reaction score
Extremely disturbing article, that's for sure! This spying business really peeves me off. While I might be OK, it's just so, so frustrating to even think something really sneaky like this can happen.

Additionally, from the link "scrambling to assess whether the security holes" within that individual article, here is the link that results form clicking that:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/07/technology/wikileaks-silicon-valley-spy-agencies.html

What is really, really disturbing is that the second paragraph states:

"Now WikiLeaks has shaken the tech world again by releasing documents Tuesday that appear to show that the Central Intelligence Agency had acquired an array of cyberweapons that could be used to break into Apple and Android smartphones, Windows computers, automotive computer systems, and even smart televisions to conduct surveillance on unwitting users."

(I "added" the bold font to bring attention to that)

So, has my 2013 Toyota Camry been compromised? What about my 2015 Samsung 65" Smart TV? What about the 2015 Sony 65" Smart TV we bought our youngest son for Christmas? Hopefully, our 2005 Mercedes has been spared, but who knows?

Not sure how many folks around here watch TV series, but two of the current most popular ones are "The Americans" and "House of Cards". Both of them are dealing with Russian "connections" (hmm, that has also been the case with the recent Presidential election, and it still exists), and "The Americans" has a direct CIA connection. The show's producer, Joe Weisberg, used to work for the CIA. And, every script of that excellent series must be approved by the CIA (http://gizmodo.com/the-cia-has-to-approve-every-script-for-spy-drama-the-a-1677157500). Then, of course, one of the main characters, Stan Beeman (played very, very well by Noah Emmerich) works for the FBI, and lives right across the street from the Jennings (the Russian KGB couple involved with the spying activities).

Last edited:
Reaction score
If it hasn't been done already, I'm sure it will be.

Like it or not, we're entering a post privacy world where the dividing line between individual and group are being steadily erased. The old prophecy "all is one" is coming true right before our eyes.

Reaction score
I was online with the new Mac for about an hour last night around 10:00 PM and no data transfer; only a flicker or two as I moved around a couple of sites. No data transfer now either.

Reaction score
I am on line right now with my Mac Mini, and on my Arris Telephony Modem, only the "Line" indicator is flashing, but nothing dramatic. On my Netgear Router (model WNR3500U/WNR3500L), the 3 indicator lights Internet, Wireless, and Lan are blinking, but again very little.

Reaction score
Well, to follow up, apparently Apple has "fixed" this issue, at least "recently":

http://www.macworld.com/article/318...re-safe-from-newly-revealed-cia-exploits.html

Unfortunately, both of my Macs (a late 2012 Mac Mini, and a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air) are possibly "infected". I wish there was a way I could find out.

Of course, that still leaves the possible issue with our 2013 Camry, and our 2015 65" Samsung Smart TV.

Reaction score
It's one thing to say it's fixed, and yet another to have actually fixed it...