Sound is really bad on imported audio files

Reaction score
Hi. I've downloaded some transcription software on my MacBook Air but when I play audio files I've imported onto it, the sound is fuzzy and distant and almost impossible to hear. The sound on iTunes, YouTube, etc, is fine. Do I need to tweak something my Mac to correct it? I'd appreciate some help - I start a transcription job next week and really need this to work!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

A few questions to help troubleshoot:
-Which model MacBook AIr?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-What is the name of the transcription software?
-Where did you get the sound files from?

If audio is fine in other applications, then it may be the downloaded audio files.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory. Thanks for your quick reply! Answers are:

Model is A1466 "Mid 2013"
It's macOS Mojave Version 10.14.3
Software is Express Scribe Transcription
The sound files are short ones I made on the Voice Memos app on my iPhone, plus a short spoken poem from an album I downloaded onto iTunes from an old CD

Cheers

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...thanks for the answers.

I downloaded the software and tried it with a Voice Memo I made on my iPhone 6s and iPad Air 2. When loaded, they are badly distorted when played in the Express Scribe software, but fine in QuickTime Player and iTunes. I will play with the software a little more to see what controls there may be.

In the mean time, you could contact their support, as they may have come across this previously.

I will be in touch,

C

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the trouble you're going to, Cory. It looks like Express scribe don't give technical support unless I've purchased software from them. I've scrolled through their help pages and can't see anything specific to my problem. I'm encouraged that you have the same problem, but puzzled as to why!

Ask a Question