snow lep to mavericks

Reaction score
snow lep. to mavericks
have got the opportunity to purchase a display model i mac w/ mavericks.....the machine is an older model ME087HN/A w/ 8 gb ram 2.9 Ghz -1 GB, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M graphics........ will be using transend 256 thunderbolt to boot from and a 1T seagate for time machine back ups......is there anything wrong with this picture........my concern is how much tech advantage am i going to lose vis a vi resolution/ graphics/cpu and overall speed.....
all options are open....thanks
dennis

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

That model is an iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013). It is still a very decent and capable Mac. What you would gain by purchasing a newer model is dependent on what your planned usage is. The newer models have a much higher resolution screen, faster processor and graphics, and will be supported further into the future. However, for most standard uses such as email, Internet, non-professional photography/video/audio, etc. that iMac is more than fast enough.

-What are you currently running?
-What do you plan on using it for?
-Is the price well worth the difference from a current model?

C

Reaction score
thanks c,
running a late 2007........ $1200 new compared to 1580 -1600 not a great difference..... screen res seems to be the same for the non retna or am i missing something ? ...... my understanding is i can go up with mavericks but cant reverse with el capitan .......most of my applications will work from sno lep but ill lose several if i make the hyper jump to current .........my uses , photoshop, music, books pretty mundane stuff this seems to be the right situation but im looking down the road and dont want to have to purchase a newer model in 2-3 yrs time .....given there are no problems ........ive had my mac bk pro nine years and one major repair of mother board while under warranty ........my concern is i dont want to get on the bus two stops from the end of the line...........
d.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Understood.

-Yes, the current 21.5-inch iMac has the same resolution, the Retina model is double.
-You can get the current base model for $1099 USD, but if software compatibility is a concern, that may not be the right move.
-That model was $1499 USD when new.
-For those purposes, the older model should be fine. It should be good for several years, but you never know.

It's a good machine and your call after weighing the pros and cons.

Let us know if you have additional questions or concerns.

C

Ask a Question