Slow start up

Reaction score
I have a Mac desk top (late 2009) running High Sierra. Why does it take on average 35 minutes to start up until I get to the Finder page. And then 15minutes or so to go from a Mail header to what is actually in the body of the message. Is it just too old? Thank you .

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I actually use an iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2009) running macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra as my main Mac. Although it is older hardware/software, you shouldn't be experiencing slowness like that. Normally, that is a sign of either not enough free space (less than a couple of GB), or a failing hard drive.

-Do you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data?
-Does it hang during use?

It could be a few other things, but let's start there.

C

Reaction score
Hi
Thank you for the response. I do have Time Machine to back up data and it has 1.48TB available memory
and the HD has 328.34GB available of 499.25.
It does go a bit slow in use but not enough to make me cross!
I went on Google to try to solve it myself and I installed Onyx which they seemed to say might help. Not sure that it has.
I am not an expert in the inner workings of computers so you will have to go slowly with me. Thanks.
C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

-So you ran OnyX, how much did it help if any?
-Do you have any third-party utilities like MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, or antivirus installed?
-Any slowness other than startup and the Mail application?
-Do you restart your Mac daily or on a regular basis?
-Any noises such as grinding, beeps, etc.?

C

Reaction score
Thanks
OnyX did not seem to make much difference except it put lots of messages in the Recovered box. Not sure that was helpful.
Re Utilities I do not have any of those you mention. Not quite sure what counts but I do have something for my printer which is called Epson utility 4 and a Canon utilities.
It is slow to start up Safari too - I have Opera as well so maybe I should get rid of that??
I do restart Mac daily and no there are no funny noises that I have been aware of.
Hope that helps.
C

Ask a Question