Sibelius and Finale

Reaction score
Hello All,

I hope someone can help me with this.

I recently bought an iMac (having previously been a Windows person) to which I've added external speakers (B&W MM1s), which are USB-driven. I've downloaded trial versions of Sibelius 7 and Finale 2012 (music software) to play with for a few days and decide which to buy.

Finale will play back through the B&Ws with no problem. Sibelius, when it starts up, plays its "Hello" music through the B&Ws but when playing back a score, it will only play back through the internal iMac speakers. I saw a comment somewhere else to check in Audio Midi Setup, which I've done. The MM1s appear as output Audio devices, as I'd expect. In the Midi window, there appear to be only two icons, IAC Driver (which seems to be greyed out) and Network which, when I open it up, doesn't seem to have a whole lot in it. I know diddly squat about Midi so I've no idea whether this is right or not.

I'm inclining towards Sibelius because, particularly with PhotoScore Ultimate 7, its scanning functionality seems streets ahead of Finale's, but I need to be sure I can get it to play back scores through the B&Ws. Can anyone help?

I'm running OS X 10.7.3.

Many thanks,

Mark

Reaction score
Sibelius has been a pile of c$!p on the Mac for many years, you'll find all manner of things that don't quite work as expected once you've brought it. YMMV.

I'd also check out Notion 3

Ask a Question