'Show character viewer' as a shortcut? How to add it to Services?

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm a newbie. I know a little about automator, but not enough to do it without any help.

My specs:
upload_2015-3-10_14-22-12.png

I added the icon to the bar menu:
upload_2015-3-10_14-23-13.png

upload_2015-3-10_14-23-42.png

However, the access is painful, since I use it very often.

How do I do a Service with Automator to have this possible?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Command-Option-T will bring up Character Viewer in many applications, but not all. It is also listed in the Edit menu as Special Characters...

I am not sure how to write an Automator script, nor how to add it to the Services menu.

C

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
You can manually reassign this same keyboard shortcut (Opt-⌘-T) to the Special Characters command.

To do so, open System Preferences and choose Keyboard, then the Keyboard Shortcuts tab.

Select Application Shortcuts in the left pane then in the All Applications category click the plus button to add a new shortcut.

In the drop-down window that appears, ensure All Applications is selected and then type "Special Characters..." in the Menu Title field (note that the three dots are separate periods).

Next, to assign this sequence to the keyboard shortcut, put your cursor in the Keyboard Shortcut field and press Option-Command-T .

Hopefully you should now be able to access the Character Viewer in most applications by pressing this keyboard shortcut.

Ask a Question