Set up a mac mini as server

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a late 2014 mac mini with 8 gig Ram, 1 t of storage. I want to set it up as a server running linux. Server will contain music, film, LAMP system but instead of PHP would like to run python. Want the server to provide backups to my macs. Had 2 T of external drives to use as more storage. Is this possible?
Problem is I have articles on how to do one or two of these but not all.
PLEASE help.
Aqueelah

Reaction score
I had a similar system a while back using a Raspberry Pi, rather than a mac mini, it worked OK but I imagine the mac mini would have more oomph and would do a better job.

Reaction score
I am still researching this thing so I guess my first question is the best way to set up a linux server on my mac mini to do all the things I need above? I have read several articles which give different ways to set it up. I do not need mac OS on the server although it is presently on the mac mini.

Reaction score
If you install Ubuntu server, the install process will allow you to set up most of your requirements

Reaction score
As it has been a while since I have done this , I have just installed Ubuntu server (20.04.4) on my iMac 20' (Early 2008) 4gb ram, 240GB SSD, 2.4ghz intel core duo , with no problem. Python3 is installed by default, I had to install mysql, Apache2 and then mysql connector, to allow Python to talk to mysql. All working well at the moment.

Last edited:

Ask a Question