Security update affects iPhoto

Reaction score
(I use a G4 with Panther)
On 4th Dec a newly arrived Security Update was run. Mail would not run immediatly afterwards until Norton Disk Doc and Speed disk had tidied things up. Last night I tried to use iPhoto and however I try it will not open. Norton had no effect neith did reinstalling iLife 06. I am:confused:
Any help anywhere?
Roy

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

What stage are you at... is the old iPhoto still on the Mac or just the new one ?

Personally I would throw Nortons away, it can do more damage than good.

I would suggest doing a Repair Permissions with Disk Utility first then a restart. Disk Utility is in your Applications folder-->Utilities.

Try that and then let us know what happens.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I second Ric's suggestion to throw out the Nortons... I have it from an actual former Apple employee (he was there almost 20 years) that Norton does more harm than good in OS X in general, and if installed on a machine pre-OS X.

Reaction score
I would like to third that Norton does more harm than good...I have never liked Norton products even when I was using Windows.

Reaction score
Ric and all
Thanks for speedy reply.
I have moved all but Norton Antivirus to trash and emptied it.
I was unaware of Disk Utilities in MACOS X. I tried it in Classic and it seemed of little value.
I have run Repair Permissions and I'm sorry to say there is no change in the problem. Indeed I have found it also applies to iTunes.
Any more ideas? Or... do I erase the programmes and reinstall?
Roy

Reaction score
before you delete any app I would get a program call main menu.
I like it alot and it has alot of utilites you can run before deleteing anything

Hope it helps

Reaction score
I don't know about Main Menu. I will look, into it.
I have tried reinstalling iLife (excepting GarageBand) without success.
I have looked at permissions. Quicktime works with Owner=system and Group=admin
Office works with Owner and Group set to royjones
Neither arrangement works with iTunes or iPhoto
Help??
Roy

Reaction score
Main menu have utilities on it that you can run to help fix problems it could fix the problem

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

you may find it quicker to do an 'Archive and Install', just make sure that any impotant data is backed up and that you have 7GB free.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question